Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking to purchase domain name for my photography

Hi All,

I'm new to this stuff and am just wondering if you guys could help suggest some web sites where I could purchase a domain name for my new photography business.

It's nothing extreme, so I don't need a service that can support crazy volumes of traffic or anything like that. I'd just like to host high resolution images, and provide information about my services and stuff like that - nothing fancy.

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

So you are looking for hosting, not for domain, or both?
    You need help choosing the name or just choosing the company which will host your site?
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Michael View Post
    So you are looking for hosting, not for domain, or both?
    You need help choosing the name or just choosing the company which will host your site?
    I already have the name(it is available, luckily), I just need help choosing a reliable company to host the site.

Currently, I use flickr.com to host my images. Would you recommend that I keep it that way and just mirror it to my web site, or host it myself all together?

Sorry, if my web hosting terminology is subpar. Again, I'm new to all of this and will not actually be the one building the web site. I just want to own the domain name for now, so that I can print it on my business cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Owhat View Post
    I already have the name(it is available, luckily), I just need help choosing a reliable company to host the site.
    Then, you opened the thread in the wrong board. Moderators will move it I suppose

Currently, I use flickr.com to host my images. Would you recommend that I keep it that way and just mirror it to my web site, or host it myself all together?
    I strongly recommend to leave flickr and get your own site since it is business, not only personal.

Sorry, if my web hosting terminology is subpar. Again, I'm new to all of this and will not actually be the one building the web site. I just want to own the domain name for now, so that I can print it on my business cards.
    You are doing very well asking here. We will be happy to assist you in every question you may have.

Ok, let me start off by apologizing for the mix up. I'm confusing myself with all of this stuff since I'm very unfamiliar with web hosting.

When I said that I had the name, I didn't mean that I registered or purchased the domain name yet. I was implying that I had it thought out in my head and ran a search to check it's availability.

Now, I started this thread to find out where I should purchase the domain name from. I don't wanna go to godaddy for obvious reasons, but I do not know of any other options.

To my understanding, I thought that the company that you purchase the domain name from will also host that web site for you. Sadly, I am mistaken. Am I? I have no idea. Haha.

So... to sum it up... I need to know where I should purchase the domain name for my photography site, as well as what company I should use to host it. I would like to put high resolution images up on the site and just basic information about my photography services.

I've read namecheap is a good alternative to godaddy, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks so much in advance.

To my understanding, I thought that the company that you purchase the domain name from will also host that web site for you. Sadly, I am mistaken. Am I? I have no idea. Haha.
    Domain is completely different service from Hosting. You can buy both from the same company, or you can choose 2 different companies, one for domain and one for hosting. Hope it helps.

Will you build the site yourself?

Domain is completely different service from Hosting. You can buy both from the same company, or you can choose 2 different companies, one for domain and one for hosting. Hope it helps.
    I see. Thank you so much for clearing that up! Which thread should I be posting this in, then? Am I at least in the right thread for the first part of my question - figuring out who to buy the domain name through?

I do not have the skills to build web sites, so I'll have to pay someone to do it for me, but I would like to purchase the domain name now, so that I can put it on my business cards.

I see. Thank you so much for clearing that up! Which thread should I be posting this in, then? Am I at least in the right thread for the first part of my question - figuring out who to buy the domain name through?
    You are in the right place!

Ok, I'm not sure what happened, but a user asked me to PM him/her, but I have no idea how to do that in this forum, so I just sent a friend request. When I refreshed this page, the comment had disappeared. Either the user deleted his/her comment, or I didn't PM quickly enough.

Ok, I'm not sure what happened, but a user asked me to PM him/her, but I have no idea how to do that in this forum, so I just sent a friend request. When I refreshed this page, the comment had disappeared. Either the user deleted his/her comment, or I didn't PM quickly enough.
    Or the moderators removed the post because of terms violation.

Or the moderators removed the post because of terms violation.
    I see. Thanks for your prompt responses. Where do you think I should go to purchase my domain name?

I see. Thanks for your prompt responses. Where do you think I should go to purchase my domain name?
    I have used only Namecheap on the past. They were good. Not as cheap as their name says, but fair enough.

I have used only Namecheap on the past. They were good. Not as cheap as their name says, but fair enough.
    I see. Maybe I'll just have to go with them. Don't know how long I can hold out on ordering those business cards. Haha.

What about web hosting? Any companies you would recommend?
    Last edited by Owhat; 02-01-2012 at 05:40 AM.

i use and recommend namecheap.com

for namecheap, if you google namecheap + coupons you should be able to get a discount.

edit:

my post got sniped by about 5 posts.
    namecheap.com for domain names, ill let others suggest good hosting companies.
    Last edited by Mad_matt; 02-01-2012 at 05:41 AM.

What about web hosting? Anything companies you would recommend?
    In order to narrow down your search, my advices are:

1. Keep away from unlimited space and traffic.
    2. Choose a plan with unlimited email accounts, addon domains, parked domains, subdomains, etc.
    3. Choose a host who provides at least 3 levels of backup.
    4. Investigate the years of presence.
    5. Choose a host which doesn't shut down your site because of consuming cpu and ram resources.
    6. ping test before registering.
    7. send emails before regsitering to test how fast do they reply.
    8. ask for uptime chart.
    9. ask for server load chart.

In order to narrow down your search, my advices are:

1. Keep away from unlimited space and traffic.
    2. Choose a plan with unlimited email accounts, addon domains, parked domains, subdomains, etc.
    3. Choose a host who provides at least 3 levels of backup.
    4. Investigate the years of presence.
    5. Choose a host which doesn't shut down your site because of consuming cpu and ram resources.
    6. ping test before registering.
    7. send emails before regsitering to test how fast do they reply.
    8. ask for uptime chart.
    9. ask for server load chart.
    That's fantastic advice! Thank you so much for being so helpful! Wish I could give you a +rep point or something. Haha.

Never buy your domain from your webhost. Always keep the registration and webhosting with separate companies. See this thread... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=564900

There is another thread in the tutorials about Registrars... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1034914

Personally, I choose Dynadot.com for my Domain Registrations. As for hosting. There are a zillion hosts out there. You can easily get mired down with selecting one. For hosting, I'd personally recommend Hostgator.com, for a beginner like you.
    Signature Under Construction.

If you are looking to purchase domain along with hosting then there are many providers. But I would suggest you to for different ones.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I decided to register my domain name through namecheap and for hosting, another user on the forum has very kindly decided to help me out free of charge.

I'm very grateful for all the advice.

and for hosting, another user on the forum has very kindly decided to help me out free of charge.
    How did they do that?

Did you pick out the name yet? Just from an SEO (search engine optimization) standpoint, you should pick a name with "photography" in it. I know, it sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people overlook something that simple. Optimize your entire site (once it's live) using keyword strategy and you'll get a lot more leads and ultimately more business.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    How did they do that?
    He's a super generous guy and appreciates photography, so he did me a huge favor by hosting my site for free.

Quote Originally Posted by ttg2012 View Post
    Did you pick out the name yet? Just from an SEO (search engine optimization) standpoint, you should pick a name with "photography" in it. I know, it sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people overlook something that simple. Optimize your entire site (once it's live) using keyword strategy and you'll get a lot more leads and ultimately more business.
    Thank you so much for the advice. I did pick a name and included, "photography", as well.

i would suggest bluehost dot com. their services are quite good and satisfying. as for your website, use joomla or wordpress, since they have photo plugins that can fetch images from flicker without having to upload them to your server

A good domain name is good money in your pocket. so I would suggest you to register Short, Unique, catchy, memorable and descriptive domain name.
    ICAN-accredited Registrar will be the best bet.

Any big name registrar is good to go with. I'm talking godaddy, register365, enom, tucows, moniker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast