Install DTC GPL control panel on a Debian GNU-Linux

Hello!

For those who wants to give it a try, here is the best way to have a (fast) setup of the DTC control panel.

First, add the debian repository (select the closest to you):

Tampa (florida) repository:
    Code:
    echo "deb ftp://ftp.gplhost.com/debian stable main" >>/etc/apt/sources.list
    Singapore repository:
    Code:
    echo "deb ftp://ftp.gplhost.sg/debian stable main" >>/etc/apt/sources.list
    Remove software you don't need and that are installed by default by debootstrap. This is not really needed but it's better with it:

Code:
    apt-get remove exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light nfs-common portmap pidentd pcmcia-cs pppoe pppoeconf ppp pppconfig
    update-rc.d -f exim remove
    update-inetd --remove daytime
    update-inetd --remove telnet
    update-inetd --remove time
    update-inetd --remove finger
    update-inetd --remove talk
    update-inetd --remove ntalk
    update-inetd --remove ftp
    update-inetd --remove discard
    /etc/init.d/inetd reload
    Select the software you need (you can choose other daemons instead, like dovecot or proftpd for example, but the following apt-get install is the fastest way to have something working). Note that currently gawk is missing in the dependencies, but it doesn't that mutch if it's not there. It's just better if you add it so RRDTool graphing will work perfectly and your network interfaces will be detected by the installer.

Code:
    apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-tls sasl2-bin libsasl2 libsasl2-modules libapache-mod-php4 mlmmj pure-ftpd-mysql awstats courier-authmysql courier-imap courier-pop courier-maildrop php4 php4-cgi php4-cli apache squirrelmail phpmyadmin gawk php4-gd
    You then need to ask for extension=mysql.so and extension=gd.so in your php.ini. After some mail exchange with the debian maintainer, it's a KNOWN BUG and there is nothing we can do about it. Hopefully, the following commands will make it a small issue:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure php4-mysql
    dpkg-reconfigure php4-gd
    Then just installer the panel:
    Code:
    apt-get install dtc
    Here are the answers to debconf in case you are lost:
    Locales:
    - add all the languages you wish to be supported by the webmail
    - set en_US as default if possible
    Courier-base:
    - Create directories for web-based administration -> yes
    Postfix:
    - Internet Site
    - Mail name -> mx.your-domain.com (example: mx.foobar.com)
    - my destination -> hit enter (mx.foobar.com must be there)
    phpmyadmin:
    - Select apache only

For others, either it doesn't mater, or the default option is just ok.

That's all folks! I just hope this will help to make our panel a bit more popular here, and maybe bring more contributors.

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

Nice how-to
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

try many times
    and its not working

hehe

well its the same for me never got that thing to work either.

Yes my problem is always about MySQL are problem after it downgrade to 4.0

well

well for me its the Proftpd but now after i reinstalled it i can't even install it anymore its totaly ****ed up lol.

I don't know what happened with you all, I didn't think it was that hard to setup, and if you follow the howto very carefully it's a succesfull install. I suggest that you follow the howto in the project's wiki (I can't post it here, but it's easy to find): it's more up-to-date.

If you want to use MySQL 4.1 you need to use the CVS version as the stable one has some issues with dependencies.

I do not recommand to use Proftpd as it's a known security issue in itself (Proftpd had many security issues in the past).

If you contact me by MSN, I'll be happy to help. I don't want that you have a bad feeling only because of little issues when installing. Could you all say what is the configuration you are using ? (i.e: distrib, installed software, etc...)

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

hmm

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost
    I don't know what happened with you all, I didn't think it was that hard to setup, and if you follow the howto very carefully it's a succesfull install. I suggest that you follow the howto in the project's wiki (I can't post it here, but it's easy to find): it's more up-to-date.

If you want to use MySQL 4.1 you need to use the CVS version as the stable one has some issues with dependencies.

I do not recommand to use Proftpd as it's a known security issue in itself (Proftpd had many security issues in the past).

If you contact me by MSN, I'll be happy to help. I don't want that you have a bad feeling only because of little issues when installing. Could you all say what is the configuration you are using ? (i.e: distrib, installed software, etc...)

Thomas
    Don't tell me what happend to all tell me what happend with the control panels and howto none of the howto is working correctly.
    And i have read it carefully to many times i have tried let see here it most be about 1 and half week to just get a control panel without any good result so i have finaly gave up all hope for almost all control panels.
    It's not worth to even try anymore if i can't get it even installed then who says it will even work in the end.
    Have a great day

I'm sorry if it didn't work for you. I do about 1 setup every day without any issue.

Just saying what we give for free is bad because you are not good enough to do the setup is IMHO very silly, even more when I propose you some help and try to find out what the problem is (and when you don't tell what the error was). Also, saying the work of many people is bad when you couldn't try, and evaluate, is silly too.

Last, you might try to lear how to write: what you say is almost unreadable, and that is disrepect as well. That also makes me think that maybe you have problems to read as well and that's why you got stucked, when it was no problem for the majority of users (about 2000 download per month).

Thomas

hmm

well im sorry that you can't understand what i write to bad for you.
    I didn't mean that it sucks its just very enoying when none of the guides is working after almost 2 weeks of reading and reading and reading and to spend some more time i read and read and read.
    Well i don't get you either how come so many people complaining about installation isn't working like it should.
    And if there isn't any errors with installation then just wait and see there is going to be alot problems with other stuff like FTP and MySQL and Bind9.
    Well i have post alot error message latly i never was on the board for DTC panel becuse i tought nobody would see my post anyway.
    Have been going trow alot communites that never answer any quastions so i didn't even want to bather.

By the way have a great day and good luck with your software...

Quote Originally Posted by NeiSep
    I didn't mean that it sucks its just very enoying when none of the guides is working after almost 2 weeks of reading and reading and reading and to spend some more time i read and read and read.
    I'm sorry, but IT DOES work. I follow that exact howto step by step each time I do a setup and there is no problem. Maybe you are going out of the tracks or you didn't answer properly to a debconf question, or you are using NAT (I know there is an issue on the automated setup with it) but there is no way to know for me as you don't tell what was going wrong.

And if there isn't any errors with installation then just wait and see there is going to be alot problems with other stuff like FTP and MySQL and Bind9.
    Why would it be a problem, I don't understand...

Well i have post alot error message latly i never was on the board for DTC panel becuse i tought nobody would see my post anyway.
    Have been going trow alot communites that never answer any quastions so i didn't even want to bather.
    If you have posted some errors, I didn't saw them. Was it here on WHT? If it's the case I missed them, you should have post it in the panel's forum...

Anyway, it wouldn't bother, I like to answer such questions (even for free). Second as you can see in our (support) forum we never leave somebody behind, and answer all the posts.

Thomas

hmm

Quote Originally Posted by gplhost
    I'm sorry, but IT DOES work. I follow that exact howto step by step each time I do a setup and there is no problem. Maybe you are going out of the tracks or you didn't answer properly to a debconf question, or you are using NAT (I know there is an issue on the automated setup with it) but there is no way to know for me as you don't tell what was going wrong.

Why would it be a problem, I don't understand...

If you have posted some errors, I didn't saw them. Was it here on WHT? If it's the case I missed them, you should have post it in the panel's forum...

Anyway, it wouldn't bother, I like to answer such questions (even for free). Second as you can see in our (support) forum we never leave somebody behind, and answer all the posts.

Thomas
    aha yea that could be it but im not sure about that becuse i mean i have really read all correct im sure but i could have write wrong or done something wrong else now the system is not working so i did reinstall everything and now i got another panel that is working.
    Well i should have post in your forum in the first place then hehe
    By the way have a great day

Almost...

Almost installed trying my IP or temperary host adress give gplhost-style "there is nothing yet"-page, so, seems it' working

Anyway, tryingi "dtc.my.adress.here" say "server not found" ( My Firefox sayys it in finnish, so I don't know what it exactly in english.) Anyway, Server is virtual server (Debian), so, it's not my "own", but I have a root accept to a server.

Any Idea? Debian (Don't know what) apache 1.3.x, mysql 4.0.x php 4.3.x

Please reply also: linesa@surffi.net

This sounds like the site is not resolving. Check the DNS config.

Thomas

Need I changes to dns-server? Or just .htaccess?

This has nothing to do with your .htaccess

Check that dtc.your-domain-name.com is resolving correctly using "host" under linux or "nslookup" under windows.

Thomas

P.S: If you are really stucked, get in touch with me on IM

i am testing this instruction on a vm machine and one of the errors i encountered was not able to find /etc/php/apache2/php.ini? Please advise. The vm is running debian 40-r0

Dear qplhost , How about make a step by step more better.. when i try to install this on deiban etch, the following error comes

" apt-get install courier-authmysql "
    this has no candidate :/
    How about show us the full version of source.list for apt-get then maby this wont happen I´m a big fan of control panels, i´ve been testing alot of panels and alot more.. Still trying to find the best panel for "newbs" and normal ppl..
    if u need some testers for Systems, i´m gladly to try it for you

Greets 17steins

That tutorial is *VERY* old, it was written at the time when Sarge was the stable Debian. Since then things have evolved, and this package has been replaced by others.

Also, our procedure is now a lot more simple. Simply add our repository, and type:

apt-get install dtc-toaster

then run the installer: /usr/share/dtc/admin/install/install

Note that you have to have your hostname set correctly with something like mx.your-domain.com (check for it with uname -n) and that it's best to have debconf set to medium priority (dpkg-reconfigure debconf) before setting-up the panel so you can answer things for pure-ftpd, postfix and other that wouldn't show otherwise.

Also, you might want to check our wiki that is always up-to-date with the latest procedure.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by EsaL74 View Post
    Almost installed trying my IP or temperary host adress give gplhost-style "there is nothing yet"-page, so, seems it' working

Anyway, tryingi "dtc.my.adress.here" say "server not found" ( My Firefox sayys it in finnish, so I don't know what it exactly in english.) Anyway, Server is virtual server (Debian), so, it's not my "own", but I have a root accept to a server.

Any Idea? Debian (Don't know what) apache 1.3.x, mysql 4.0.x php 4.3.x

Please reply also: linesa@surffi.net
    Here's a way to access dtc via ip rather than through a vhost

instead of opening http://dtc.foo.com use https://ip.of.ser.ver

so if your domain dtc.foo.com is supposed to point at 172.17.139.24 just type in https://172.17.139.24/

Note that this is https, not http

got it all working except....

I have it all working on debian Etch (I used the step-by-step on your website instead of the one listed here, because it did not work and after 6 times of reinstalling debian I needed to go to sleep lol) except POP3, in the control panel it states that POP3 is not working.....

any ideas would be great, and please be gentle, I'm a newbie when it comes to linux and admin.... (figured the best way to learn is to force myself to admin my own server, for personal reasons of course).

Chris

Hi,

This is not really the place to request for such specific support. Go on our forums if you can.

By the way, for your problem, you got to create at least one email, so the control panel can test for it, otherwise it will always complain about it.

Thomas