LA - where to stay?

We have a couple of nights stopover in LA on way to Chicago.

We want to do some of the usual tourist crap like seeing famour peoples houses and such. Havent found much help for where we should look for a Hotel.

Whats the nicest parts of LA for a tourist to stay and see it all in a couple of fast days? Nice hotels?

Ideally not looking to get shot.

Thanks for any advice..
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Hey Matt,

I visited Los Angeles after HostingCon 2005 when it was in Chicago. I can't say we did a whole lot apart from chill out for a few days. One thing I will say is that American domestic flights totally suck and I will do whatever I can to avoid them in the future, especially a long one like ORD - LAX.

I am not sure what type of hotel you are looking for, but we stayed at the Beverly Hilton on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills and it was a very nice hotel. It is actually where they hold the Golden Globe awards each year. Staying there worked out pretty well since it was a short cab ride in from the airport and a short walk from places like Rodeo Drive etc. There are quite a few hotels on Wilshire and around that area though.

As I say when we were there not a whole lot got done but we did head down to the pier at Santa Monica which was a short bus ride away, went to Universal Studios which didn't take long to get to on the subway and took a train ride from Union Station to the Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement park.

One thing I am kicking myself that we didn't do was visit The Getty Center which is supposedly spectacular to see regardless of what you may or may not know about art. I am meant to be heading back to LA this year so might make it there still. As far as tours of the stars houses go, I had a friend out there who drove us around but I believe most of the hotels have arrangements with tour companies for that type of thing.

Well I hope that proved mildly useful but I am sure someone who lives in LA or knows far more about it than myself will be able to provide you with further details on things to do etc. Also, be sure to keep your eyes open for the gorgeous women in LA as there are many of them.... *ducks from Matt's girlfriend*

- Chris

Thanks Chris,

Are you guys making it to Chicago this year? Will be good to see you all again!
    Matt Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by UH-Matt
    Thanks Chris,

Are you guys making it to Chicago this year? Will be good to see you all again!
    Yes, not got any flights or anything sorted out yet but we will be there. Shall be good to see you guys again too

- Chris

The Beverly Hilton is a great option, I also think Belemar Hotel, and my personal favorite, the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel.

Any of those three and you can't go wrong, I'd definitely recommend checking out the Renaissance thought Matt.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Hmm can get a suite at the Belemar for the price of a standard room at Renaissance, so I think maybe the Belemar.

Although someone else told me the Hilton was a good stay, so ill check that out too!

Are all these in a good location for walking out to see some sights?
    Matt Wallis

The best for walking out to see some sights is the Renaissance.

The Belemar is in Manhatten Beach, it's great for walking to the beach, but it's not in Hollywood..The Renaissance is walking distance to the walk of stars, chinese theatre, and all that...but a good ways from the Beach..
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

Dont need a beach for 2 day stopover (I live next toa beach) so looks like im gonna fork out for the Renaissance.

Thanks
    Matt Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Rochen
    I visited Los Angeles after HostingCon 2005 when it was in Chicago. I can't say we did a whole lot apart from chill out for a few days. One thing I will say is that American domestic flights totally suck and I will do whatever I can to avoid them in the future, especially a long one like ORD - LAX.
    Hiya Chris!

Next time you should grab a nice convertible and just drive over, that's what we did (ok well.. that was from chicago to atlanta - which isn't nearly as far as that, but it was fun anyhow)

Looking forward to see you in Chicago again this year. I couldn't make it to Vegas last year, but we'll be there again this year.

I recommend taking a stroll in Watts, or Compton.

Regards,
    Anthony B.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrigade
    I recommend taking a stroll in Watts, or Compton.
    Compton only had 65 murders in 2005..People give that area such a bad name.

(Kidding..it does have the highest crime rate year after year of cities with between 60-100,000 people)
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

Quote Originally Posted by Apoc
    Hiya Chris!

Next time you should grab a nice convertible and just drive over, that's what we did (ok well.. that was from chicago to atlanta - which isn't nearly as far as that, but it was fun anyhow)

Looking forward to see you in Chicago again this year. I couldn't make it to Vegas last year, but we'll be there again this year.
    Hey Andre,

It will be good to see you guys again this year. Yes, the GNAX customer dinner wasn't the same without you... plus we didn't have the view from the Signature Room in Vegas

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Rochen
    Hey Andre,

It will be good to see you guys again this year. Yes, the GNAX customer dinner wasn't the same without you... plus we didn't have the view from the Signature Room in Vegas

- Chris
    There are some amazing views in Vegas though (the new Moon nightclub..a nightclub with a retractable roof 40 floors up..how cool)

but, I haven't been to Chicago in many many years, so I do look forward to the trip. W here I come!
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media

I live in LA off the famous Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. No crime here to speak of. You go east, there's crime. Some people won't even go east of Fairfax -- it's a bit of a joke here.

If you want a very LA experience try The Standard.

http://standardhotel.com/

Here's some reviews of The Standard:
    http://losangeles.citysearch.com/pro..._standard.html

If you call early enough, there are semi-secret $99 and $179 rooms. Just ask. If they haven't sold out yet, they'll give them to you.

The Standard really makes fun of California by amplifying some of it's funnier traits. It's pretty high end and nice, though. I do recommend it at least once. At the very least, you won't regret it. At the max, you might love it.

The area around it IS very Vegas like, if that's what you want. Some of the highest end clubs and bars in the world. Even all too posh English people like it here, if that says anything. (but don't read too too much into that -- even though drinks are overpriced at most of the oints after happy hour, everything is MUCH much cheaper than London)

I'll tell you about two insider type places that I know you'll enjoy - -

I'd hit the Trocadero down the street. It's very warm and cozy. For a nice place, it's not pretentious early on, or on weekdays. Between 5 to 7, half price drinks. At any time, most meals are $12. Filet mignon for $16. A lot of locals go, and I ALWAYS bring visitors here.

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/pro...ro_lounge.html

For happy hour or dinner, I also recommend Nic's in Beverly Hills. Again, not really pretentious, although still very LA -- you feel like you're in a campy film from the 60s. During Happy hour, everything is only $5, and most of the food and drinks are absolutely to die for... oh god, yum!

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/pro...estaurant.html

At night, you can also go into a really rad Vodka Freezer and hang out with models. hehe

http://www.nicsbeverlyhills.com/nics_2006/?ref=none

Enjoy your trip to LA!
    Last edited by J_Smith; 02-27-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Matt, I've stayed in The Standard and it's pretty good if you do want downtown. If you haven't been before and want to see the sights though, the commute from downtown will be even worse.

It does have a very cool bar on the roof though.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy