My Server at managed.com unplugged without any warns..

Hello,

I'd like to share some of my adventure moments that started today,

I got my server down, 10 Minutes later I sent to support@managed.com.. No reply after 15 Minutes, Sent back to reboot@managed.com .. got a reply after 5 minutes saying:

Greetings,

Your server has been unplugged due to bandwith violations. I will
    forward this ticket to our service department so we may get this issue
    resolved with you.

Best Regards,
    Managed.com

have been waiting now for another reply for more than 25 minutes that's around 1 hour total downtime without any idea on what's happening

but i'd like to know what's bandwidth violations ?

i bet you got close to your 1000gb limit and they said nogo and unplugged
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

i just got my bandwidth reset on 24 ( it should've been )

Were you pusing 10Mbps or more for an extended period of time?

- Matt

from my MRTG I see no, plus my maximum daily bandwidth has been 50 GB so I can't even push to 10 Mbps in a complete day

lackeroom:

There is no direct correlation between 95th percentile metering and actual GB utilization. It is more than possible that you were using 10+ megabit for a 20 minute period (which I think is the rule they have in place).

shouldn't they charge him for the extra bandwidth and email him a warning instead of unplugging him?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Managed.com has alot of people that buy their servers and hog the whole 100MBPS port until they run out of bandwidth, so they created this rule (most likely) to keep this from happening. I don't really see any problem with it, don't use bandwidth over 10MBPS for longer then 20 minutes or they disconnect your server. Also, at 50GB a day, you're pushing ~1500GB a month. At the end of the month, you'll be praising Managed for not making you pay $250.00 for that extra 500GB.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

oh guess what.. they checked the wrong MRTG for my server and my server is back now thx god

what was the problem then?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

go over bandwidth and got unplugged??
    in a business decision it'd be better to charge for overage fee, instead of unplugging a server

I have no idea i only got an email that I will get the server rebooted in 15 mins and I got it back, I concluded that it was a mistake by them as in the email I got it showed another MRTG than mine..

Actually I have times where my server hogs 25!! Mbps for over an hour (and 1 hour around 10-20Mbps in front and after the peak) without getting dced.

Maybe they thought you've almost exceeded the 1000GB limit or something?

Originally posted by athlonkmf
    Actually I have times where my server hogs 25!! Mbps for over an hour (and 1 hour around 10-20Mbps in front and after the peak) without getting dced.

Maybe they thought you've almost exceeded the 1000GB limit or something?
    Either that, or you've been getting lucky

Originally posted by lackeroom
    oh guess what.. they checked the wrong MRTG for my server and my server is back now thx god
    So they unplugged the wrong server?

yup they did.

Originally posted by RHChristian
    Managed.com has alot of people that buy their servers and hog the whole 100MBPS port until they run out of bandwidth, so they created this rule (most likely) to keep this from happening. I don't really see any problem with it, don't use bandwidth over 10MBPS for longer then 20 minutes or they disconnect your server. Also, at 50GB a day, you're pushing ~1500GB a month. At the end of the month, you'll be praising Managed for not making you pay $250.00 for that extra 500GB.
    I need my server up at all times. I'd expect a bill, not to be shut down. BS I say.

Originally posted by lackeroom
    yup they did.
    Where's the proof. You said yourself, that YOU CONCLUDED that this was the case.

Hell, I concluded there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll (I think it was Elvis), but that doesn't make it fact.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Originally posted by sirius
    Where's the proof. You said yourself, that YOU CONCLUDED that this was the case.

Hell, I concluded there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll (I think it was Elvis), but that doesn't make it fact.

Sirius
    Well, Webhost Avenger, they DID email him saying he had been unplugged due to BW viloations which is primarily what this thread is about. So what's so hard to believe?

Originally posted by sirius

Sirius
    the email i got from service showed another MRTG than mine, which really pushed 30 MBps for 10 hours. But not on my MRTG and even it's a complete difference in IP ranges
    one is 66.79.189.XXX
    and the other 66.79.184.XXX

-- I mean for MRTG links.

all of this and I shouldnt conclude what happened ?

Somewhere... with a 21 oz(hammer) in my hand, ;-)
    sounds like you were using too much bandwidth at once(ie. I got unplugged after using 85Mbs+ for a unknown amount of time).

Originally posted by Johan_Tayn
    sounds like you were using too much bandwidth at once(ie. I got unplugged after using 85Mbs+ for a unknown amount of time).
    It wasn't even his server....