Question JPEG: Baseline(Standard) - Baseline Optimzed - Progressive

Hello

Somebody please explain the difference in the 3 choices when saving a JPEG in photoshop.

-Baseline(Standard)

-Baseline Optimized

-Progressive

*When choosing Progressive, you also need to choose the number of Scans; 3,4 or 5.

So what are the pros and cons of the different choices? I usually don't see much a difference in file size. What about quality? What is the best overall choice? What about those Scans if you choose progressive?

Talk to me!

In your photoshop help find a document called 'Saving files in JPEG format (Photoshop)' (well at least that's what it's called in version 7). It explains all of the differences.

However for the greatest compatibility you should use Baseline (standard)

Thanks Rich2k, I found it in my version 6. I'm going to post it in case others might be lazy.

"Baseline ("Standard") to use a format recognizable to most Web browsers.

Baseline Optimized to optimize the color quality of the image and produce a slightly smaller file size. This option is not supported by all Web browsers.

Progressive to create an image that displays gradually as it is downloaded--in a series of scans (you specify how many) showing increasingly detailed versions of the entire image. Progressive JPEG images files are slightly larger in size, require more RAM for viewing, and are not supported by all applications and Web browsers."

Source - Adobe Photoshop HELP, version 6

Hey Rich2k, I wonder if there is a way to tell which of the 3 types an existing jpeg image is? In case you might want to re-save it as a different type.

Just a note about the different jpeg formats, this is why sometimes you can download a picture that works fine in your browser, but refuses to load in older image software.

Sorry I don't think I've ever looked to try to find which format it is

Hey, I figured out how to tell.....

Just open the image in photoshop, and then go to "save as", and the menu will automatically be set on the type of jpeg it is, before you actually save it. Then you can just cancel and close the menu. I tried it several times with existing images, and even made a few new images using each type, and then re-opened them, and it detected it correctly every time.

There might be an easier way to tell, instead of going thru the motions of almost re-saving, but at least this does work, and it's easy.