* Cyber Hackers Foiled in raiding a bank

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4356661.stm

London police foil huge bank raid

A man was seized in Israel after an attempt to transfer £13.9m
    Police in London say they have foiled one of the biggest ever attempted bank thefts in Britain.
    The plan was to steal £220m ($423m) from the London offices of the Japanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui.

Computer experts are believed to have tried to transfer the money electronically after hacking into the bank's systems.

A man has been arrested by police in Israel after the plot was uncovered by the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit.

Unit members worked closely with Israeli police.

The investigation was started last October after it was discovered that computer hackers had gained access to Sumitomo Mitsui bank's computer system in London.

They managed to infiltrate the system with keylogging software that would have enabled them to track every button pressed on computer keyboards.

Cyber warning

From that they could learn account numbers, passwords and other sensitive information.

The man arrested was seized in Israel after an attempt to transfer £13.9m into an account there.

He has been charged with money laundering and deception, but police say their investigation is continuing.

They have issued a warning for banks and businesses to watch out for cyber criminals.

The National Hi-Tech Crime Unit was launched in April 2001 with responsibility for tracking down the growing range of criminals who operate in cyberspace.

Takashi Morita, head of communications at Sumitomo Mitsui in Tokyo, said the company had not suffered any financial loss as a consequence of the robbery attempt.

He said: "The case is still in the middle of investigation so we cannot comment further.

"We have undertaken various measures in terms of security and we have not suffered any financial damage."

talk about getting greedy 0_o

£220 million!
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

what i want to know is where/how they picked the figure £220mil from? was it an 'everyone write a figure on a bit of paper and we'll take an average', or was it one account they were stealing from? or was it thats all the bank has money wise?

and that 13.9mil. why that amount? what does it translate to in israeli money (shekels?)

They might just be random numbers. The same question could have been asked if it was 230 Mil or 150 Mil etc...
    -- Matthew

Just an FYI (According to Yahoo Finance) 13.9Mil Pounds is equal to 115,357,568 ILS.
    -- Matthew

so they were after 100million in their own currency.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

no, that's what they almost had.

£220 million = 1.8billion ILS
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.