Thread: apache problems

apache problems

umm i installed ttp://sourceforge.net/projects/webserv/ which is a combination of apache, mysql, php,ect on a windows server 2003. umm i set everything up to work with dyndns.org. when i went to my dns address, it worked fine and i tried localhost, it worked, and 127.0.0.1 all worked fine. but when i had my firends tested the address dey got an error message saying page not found or missing ect. what oculd be the problem

Check to make sure that in the config that it allows connections from all. It may be set to accept only from localhost access. Look for a ...

order allow,deny
    allow from 127.0.0.1
    deny from all

or something that resembles that. If it is like that, add some # before the lines and restart apache to see if that's the cause.

Edit: let me be more specific -- the config, that you should check in, should be httpd.conf.

i took your advice and changed settings to

<IfModule mod_status.c>
    ExtendedStatus On
    <Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order allow,deny
    #Deny from all
    Allow from all
    </Location>
    </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_info.c>
    <Location /server-info>
    SetHandler server-info
    Order allow,deny
    #Deny from all
    Allow from all
    </Location>
    </IfModule>

----------------------------

it still doesn't seem to work, do i have to change the virtual host? if so to what

Locate for the default <VirtualHost> that is where I think it would be. The mod_info and mod_status basically is for checking server stats. I suggest keeping those set to allow from localhost and deny from all; if you don't, anyone can check server info and status'.

Originally posted by skyxliner
    i took your advice and changed settings to

<IfModule mod_status.c>
    ExtendedStatus On
    <Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order allow,deny
    #Deny from all
    Allow from all
    </Location>
    </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_info.c>
    <Location /server-info>
    SetHandler server-info
    Order allow,deny
    #Deny from all
    Allow from all
    </Location>
    </IfModule>

----------------------------

it still doesn't seem to work, do i have to change the virtual host? if so to what
    I strongly suggest that you set the above quoted portion back to it's normal values (Deny from all)... server info and server status contain way too much info for outsiders to see...

Yeah, they can get all version info of the software on the server, all IP's of people connected to the server, including scripts that you may want to have to yourself that you access.

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost [Ipaddress]>
    DocumentRoot /www/docs/user.ath.cx
    ServerName user.ath.cx
    ServerAlias user
    </VirtualHost>

do i use that?
    i do'nt see any other places with the allow and deny except status. i installed from a package installer, should i just try installing from the installer from apache website?

Try pinging the server name from your computer.

i have two dns things that i'm testing whic is skyxliner.no-ip.com and skyxliner.ath.cx both leading to same ip. i pinged both address like "ping skyxliner.no-ip.com" and receive 0% loss which means it got through. for my router i used dmz on my server computer so ima guessing itz my setup files. i can't find a good doc to help config it. ima new to apache =X

Do you have a firewall running on your computer? If so, make sure that port 80 is accessable.

i have a file called httpd.default.conf should i be editing that isntead?

I doubt it; normally, apache comes with an example config file, that may be the example. Try editing it and add some bogus line somewhere, like ;kafjkadfkaj;f. If apache errors on restart, then that is the correct file to be editing.

i think i may know the cause of the problem. i suppose there is a difference from the original apache files. the package installer webserv must replaced their files with original apache files. and renamed the original file (the one i was suppose to be editing) into httpd.default.conf. is this a possiblity?

Well, add fake lines to httpd.default.conf and restart apache. If apache errors out, remove the lines and try again with restarting. If it works this time, then that is the file to be editing.

yea ur right, the default file was just a duplicate with loads of instructions

ServerName localhost:80

skyxliner.ath.cx
    then?

ServerName skyliner:80?

To make it skyxliner.ath.cx

ServerName skyxliner.ath.cx

To make www.skyxliner.ath.cx work, add beneath that

ServerAlias www.skyxliner.ath.cx