Medialayer 3.3 month review

After losing hosting suddenly on new years eve, I had to switch to a new host.

I run a medium sized forum (30 members online at any one time-ish).

I have to report that my service from medialayer has been stellar! There was some hiccups with hosting within the first few days of signing up (always a confidence booster!), but I ended up getting January free, and the service from then on out has been excellent.

I started out on layer3, but moved to layer5 recently.

Support: 10/10. I use email rather than the web interface. Most replies have been received within 5-10 minutes (a great contrast to the 4 days you could expect with the large hosting companies).

Any queries, however stupid, have been answered professionally. Everything I've needed with regards to server extensions has been done, and they've offered limited technical support in aspects like referrer blocking. I feel bad I'm only paying $20 a month!

Although I'm not on a dedicated server or a more expensive shared plan, I have to commend the support for everything they've done for me.

Uptime: 9/10. Excluding <1 hour scheduled upgrades (once), the only downtime I've had was the previously mentioned downtime at the begging of January (the PSU failed twice!). I ended up getting the month free, so I'm not complaining!

Quality of service: 10/10. They may charge more than others (on 1&1, for the price I pay I could "in theory" have terabytes of bandwidth and hundreds of Gigabytes of space. However, I know that I will get every byte of what I pay for, and I know that the support alone will make the money worthwhile. When your hosting a large PHP app, you want a flexible host that will help you with database issues and even give you helpful hints. They don't artificially limit my mySQL databases or FTP accounts (unlimited!), and they don't artificially limit anything else. You pay for the things that cost them money - bandwidth and diskspace.

Overall: 9.8/10. Excluding the downtime I had, this is the perfect host. I know they won't oversell, I know they'll be there when I need them and I know they'll be helpful.

Thank you medialayer for not falling prey to the "More is better" psyche that seems to be dogging hosts these days.

Leo

http://medialayer.net
    Last edited by leoedin; 04-08-2007 at 07:40 PM.

good stuff! MediaLayer seems like a reliable company. What domain you have hosted with them? The admins here at WHT like to know that to verify your review...

MediaLayer is definitely doing wonders with their service and I agree with all the points you made. I'll be posting a review soon too.

Great Review.

Um I am looking at there site and I can't find there Layer3 or whatever plan anywhere! Its driving me crazy.

Leo & Orien, thanks very much for the kind words! It has been a pleasure serving you both

Quote Originally Posted by john90
    Great Review.

Um I am looking at there site and I can't find there Layer3 or whatever plan anywhere! Its driving me crazy.
    layer3 is actually one of our servers.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thank you medialayer for not falling prey to the "More is better" psyche that seems to be dogging hosts these days.
    Love hearing this kind of stuff
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Sorry. My forum is http://gbatmw.net

Thanks!

Make sure to update your forum to 1.1.2 some bug fixes and a couple security fixes.

Good job on the review and best of luck with your site.