Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

established webhosting business for sale

For details: http://www.hostbroker.biz/case22.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at info@hostbroker.biz, pls put in "case22" in the subject line.

Thank you

If you are looking to sell your company, let us take over the process and ensure you a hazzle and riskfree transaction. If we do not sell your company, it is 100% free for you.
    Last edited by hostbroker; 07-30-2003 at 10:28 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Nice service you're offering, very smart
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Mekhu
    Nice service you're offering, very smart
    Thanks Mekhu,
    So far our clients seem to like it. Some time ago we sold our own hosting company, and trust me, if there was someone like hostbroker.biz around back then I would have been a happy client too. Selling a webhost can get really messy, if you do not know exactly what you are doing.
      0 Not allowed!

however not willing to reveal domain name before deposit of 10% is paid in escrow account.
    That's funny... the equivalent to putting a deposit without knowing what company your are buying.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

It's called qualifying the buyer and anyone that has been in any type of legitimate business for more than a week understands the principal of the practice...

Nice idea and a good service Hostbroker, I wish you well with it...
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    It's called qualifying the buyer and anyone that has been in any type of legitimate business for more than a week understands the principal of the practice...
    Qualifying the buyer is not showing financial information of a company without a deposit. They are not telling the NAME OF THE COMPANY before a deposit. Anyone that's spent more then 5 minutes reading would know that.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

You havent seem to have caught on yet so I'll help you out. If they had the name of the domain why would they need Hostbroker? What if they started soliciting clients of the business that's for sale when those clients may not yet know?

You should really avoid threads where you have no clue as to what's going on, it's obvious....
      0 Not allowed!

That should not make a difference.

If a realtor was selling houses would they not list what houses they are selling?

The broker signs a contract with the seller to handle the details and "sell" the business.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!
      0 Not allowed!

You havent seem to have caught on yet so I'll help you out. If they had the name of the domain why would they need Hostbroker? What if they started soliciting clients of the business that's for sale when those clients may not yet know?
    See ljprevo's post. Apparently you are completely unaware what the point of a broker is. It certainly isn't to keep the name of the company private, their job is to make the sale.

You should really avoid threads where you have no clue as to what's going on, it's obvious....
    You should really take your own advice.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

A form that calculates how much your business would/could sell for thru hostbroker.biz on the site would be very good..
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ljprevo
    That should not make a difference.

If a realtor was selling houses would they not list what houses they are selling?

The broker signs a contract with the seller to handle the details and "sell" the business.
    In this case the people IN those houses are likely the owners or are aware of the sale since the sign is probably on the lawn. In the case of a web hosting business someone could come in and contact all the clients scaring them into thinking the business was going to be sold and try to entice them to their own services thereby damaging the value of the business. In the sale of a home, you generally buy a house empty not filled with clients...

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Like I said comphosting, it's obvious.

I'm not going to respond to any more comments here and assist in hijacking this thread any further.

Good luck with the sale Hostbroker....
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for all the comments, and the comforting words about our business setup.

Originally posted by comphosting
    Qualifying the buyer is not showing financial information of a company without a deposit. They are not telling the NAME OF THE COMPANY before a deposit. Anyone that's spent more then 5 minutes reading would know that.
    This would be a (fully refundable) deposit into an escrow service, and therefore money out of the sellers reach, and yes, it’s a question of (1) financially qualifying the buyer, (2) ensuring identity and (3) filtering the dishonest individuals/competitors that would use the name of the company for fraudulent actions, like attempting to steal clients etc.

Yes, the NDA goes a long way, but in an international world, it’s hard to fight individuals breaking the terms of confidentiality.
    We have made quite a few deals the last 6 months, using these steps every time. The people that really are interested always seem to understand this procedure.

I understand that it might be a bit steep to some, but our prime concern is that both the buyer and seller are protected in the best possible way, and this is only one of the measures we take in order to ensure that.

thanks again
    Last edited by hostbroker; 07-30-2003 at 07:26 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

If I put ANY money down on any deal, I want to know everything about the business before I sign on the dotted line or put a deposit down.

Listing the businesses on the brokers site in "general" is fine, hiding the identity is ok, but don't charge potential buyers a deposit.

If they want more info on a business, have them agree to a non-disclosure agreement.

That would be fine.

No money should be put down until the buyer have reviewed the purchase and everything involved.

I am interested in other hosting businesses, but I will not put any money down not knowing what is involved, sorry.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by high-flying
    A form that calculates how much your business would/could sell for thru hostbroker.biz on the site would be very good..
    Good idea - and I will consider it. However putting a value on a hosting business is very complicated, and not just a question of adding 6-9 months of gross revenue, like seen so often.
    However, it should be possible to build all the factors in to some kind of matrix, and I will take a closer look at that.
    Thanks for the idea
      0 Not allowed!

I'm Constantly Amazed Here

Originally posted by ljprevo
    If I put ANY money down on any deal, I want to know everything about the business before I sign on the dotted line or put a deposit down.

Listing the businesses on the brokers site in "general" is fine, hiding the identity is ok, but don't charge potential buyers a deposit.

If they want more info on a business, have them agree to a non-disclosure agreement.

That would be fine.

No money should be put down until the buyer have reviewed the purchase and everything involved.

I am interested in other hosting businesses, but I will not put any money down not knowing what is involved, sorry.
    This is one reason I post so little on WHT...because there are more people bashing and complaining than buying.

If someone wants to sell something based on their set of rules, then the person interested in buying it can either buy it based on their (the seller's) rules, or they can leave it.

But, why do people constanly bash on other peoples offerings on here? If you don't like the offer, don't bid, or buy.

I have a Real Estate Liscense (although I'm not active at the moment), and I've sold businesses before, and what is being suggested or offered here is not so uncommon.

When you make an offer on a house, you put up earnest money.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, if the financials check out as stated, then what does the domain matter? In fact I don't see anywhere where it says that there is a site or domain name for sale, although it might be.

Who cares if the domain/webhost has a bad name, if the current clients are happy and staying? Maybe you could get an agreement, that you agree to put up a deposit, and make the purchase, based on the current host having a flawless reputation?

Also no where is it stated if this is a non-refundable deposit, or if this is a deposit that will be lost if the buyer does not follow thru??

Just my .02
      0 Not allowed!

Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

Originally posted by EzHost
    This is one reason I post so little on WHT...because there are more people bashing and complaining than buying.

If someone wants to sell something based on their set of rules, then the person interested in buying it can either buy it based on their (the seller's) rules, or they can leave it.

But, why do people constanly bash on other peoples offerings on here? If you don't like the offer, don't bid, or buy.

I have a Real Estate Liscense (although I'm not active at the moment), and I've sold businesses before, and what is being suggested or offered here is not so uncommon.

When you make an offer on a house, you put up earnest money.

I'm not sure what the big deal is, if the financials check out as stated, then what does the domain matter? In fact I don't see anywhere where it says that there is a site or domain name for sale, although it might be.

Who cares if the domain/webhost has a bad name, if the current clients are happy and staying? Maybe you could get an agreement, that you agree to put up a deposit, and make the purchase, based on the current host having a flawless reputation?

Also no where is it stated if this is a non-refundable deposit, or if this is a deposit that will be lost if the buyer does not follow thru??

Just my .02
    Amen....The problem here is there are too many people who think that being technical makes them good business people. They are so wrong. I see so many posts here from people that don't realize how business impaired they sound by there responses.

It sounds as if you have found a good niche Hostbroker. Good luck. If I used your services I wouldn't have a problem putting up a good faith deposit as long as it was refundable if it didn't work out. And of course my attorneys would look at everything first.
    Dale Poncy
    Retired from Zana Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I am not bashing him or his ideas, I am just saying I am not comfortable with it, as many others I would assume.

He can take that for what it is worth or say, sorry, but that is how I am going to do it.

I would like to deal with him in the future, but that is it, I don't know him nor the people he is representing, thus I will NOT front any money.

I would like to know more about the clients he is selling for, but not to the point of handing over $3200 just to get more info. I am not committed at buying, why? Because I don't know very much about what is for sale.

Am I to trust him because he is a broker?

I would like to deal with him, but requiring a deposit to get more info about what he is selling I will not do.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

Really? How many properties/homes/businesses have YOU sold without the buyer seeing it?
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

I will not put any money down without knowing the business I will be getting. That's the whole point of signing an NDA.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

Originally posted by dapon
    And of course my attorneys would look at everything first.
    And they'd tell you, putting a deposit down without knowing the name of the company you are buying is stupid.

Amen....The problem here is there are too many people who think that being technical makes them good business people. They are so wrong. I see so many posts here from people that don't realize how business impaired they sound by there responses.
    Funny stuff, where did you get your business degree? I currently have a Bachelor's in Business Administration and I'm currently working towards a Bachelor's in Computer Technologies, Networking Emphasis... so I have a pretty good handle on both the business AND technical aspects of web hosting, thanks very much.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

Originally posted by comphosting
    Really? How many properties/homes/businesses have YOU sold without the buyer seeing it?
    Where did I say that I have? Although, I do know of at least one instance (a convenience store) that was up for sale, and the situation was similar to this. You could see the books, know the town it was located in, and pretty much anything, but the owner did not want the name/location given out to just anyone until they were "qualified".

If the potential purchaser was interested after seeing the books, and they were willing to submit to the qualifying process, such as proving his net worth then they would proceed to the next step of actually setting up an appointment for the purchaser to view the property.

I have no idea if any "earnest" or "escrow" money was required upfront, since I never had a buyer myself. I simply was privy to the wishes of the owner, and details that had to be followed.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

If the potential purchaser was interested after seeing the books, and they were willing to submit to the qualifying process, such as proving his net worth then they would proceed to the next step of actually setting up an appointment for the purchaser to view the property.
    Proving his net worth != putting down the money that you may not even be able to claim back if you decide not to buy the property, does it?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server
      0 Not allowed!

sorry guys, but could you take your discussion elsewhere, this is getting out of hand.

Again, our raison d'être is to ensure both the buyer and the seller in any way possible and reasonable.

It is our experience that if we do NOT take these precautions then dishonest individuals will take advantage of the situation in any way possible. And no, for a seller in USA, a signed NDA from a dishonest "buyer" in Finland is not worth a whole lot. If you think a NDA will protect you, someone WILL cheat you, unless you deal with individuals or companies within your own legal jurisdiction.

Making sure that every (EVERY) step in the process is handled in the best way possible is what we do. The escrow 10% deposit is only one of the measures we take.

In the end that will be best for both buyer and seller. Their only concern should be to make sure the clients will not get stuck somewhere in the middle of the transaction.

In the last sale we finalized about 10 days ago, we had 12-14 potential buyers with a signed NDA, they had all financial statements, all relevant infomation (gross/net/retention/growth rate/etc) in order for them to see if they would take it to the next step. We only had 3 buyers putting up the 10%, and the final bidding ended after one week (In this case it wasnt the highest bidder that won). The two other deposits has been refunded in full to the bidders, and we have paid all escrow related fees.

I am sorry, but not surprised, to hear that some of you do not approve of our way of doing business, however I cannot emphasize enough how vulnerable a seller is during the whole screening process, and thinking that a NDA can protect you across borders is simply a bit naive, honestly.

Again - take your discussion elsewhere please, this is the way we do business - our clients prefer it that way, if you do not, then so be it.

(mods, feel free to clean this thread up a bit)
    Last edited by hostbroker; 07-30-2003 at 07:28 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

Originally posted by FHDave
    Proving his net worth != putting down the money that you may not even be able to claim back if you decide not to buy the property, does it?
    I wish people would read and understand a post before making such remarks. Here is what I said...

"Maybe you could get an agreement, that you agree to put up a deposit, and make the purchase, based on the current host having a flawless reputation?

Also no where is it stated if this is a non-refundable deposit, or if this is a deposit that will be lost if the buyer does not follow thru??"

And in actuality the point of my post was simply about the bashing and complaining on here..not necessarily about the way the transaction took place.

My point is, if someone offers something and your interested, and you can live with the terms they spell out then buy it or bid on it. If you're not interested or you don't like their terms, then don't buy it or bid on it, but DON'T moan and complain about it.

When you go to Wal-Mart, you buy what they offer for their price (unless you comp something), you don't negotiate with them. You either pay what their asking or you don't buy it.

When you buy a car, and finance it at the bank, you get full coverage insurance because they require it to get the loan, and you can't bargain with them to not buy insurance.

There are numerous examples...you either play by their rules or you don't get the service they are offering.

I won't respond further here. I'm all out of time for games for the day.

<<< Shaking head, and affirming to myself once again why it's better not to even waste your time here.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm Constantly Amazed Here

My point is, if someone offers something and your interested, and you can live with the terms they spell out then buy it or bid on it. If you're not interested or you don't like their terms, then don't buy it or bid on it, but DON'T moan and complain about it.
    Exactly why I said:

I will not put any money down without knowing the business I will be getting. That's the whole point of signing an NDA.
    No body is moaning or complaining about it, is there? As I see it, my comment above is my part to negotiate the terms with the seller/broker. Or you think I can't do this, can't even tell the seller/broker which term I dislike?

<<< Shaking head, and affirming to myself once again why it's better not to even waste your time here.
    perhaps you shouldn't.

BTW, good luck with the sales. Please contact the seller, if he agrees to remove the deposit term, then I will be looking into putting my bid on it. Let me know if there is a room to change this or not. I live in US, if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by FHDave; 07-30-2003 at 07:21 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast