Thread: FatCow/EIG

FatCow/EIG

So last night I was at dinner with a few family members. My sister started to talk to me about her friend at work who is hosted by FatCow. My heart immediately sank. I explained they're owned by EIG and probably not that reliable with regards to support. She continued to tell me that her friend had a certificate from FatCow for using green hosting. I said it probably isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Of all the things to attract me to a host that certainly isn't one of them.

What are your thoughts?
    Still under development! Web Hosting in the East of England!

Got good payment gateway rates! PM me for more details

I feel the same way as you I hate EIG and no, a little piece of paper means nothing. The server probably has a little green power led on the front, so it's green hosting? Lol.

Hostgator also has those nice windmills and advertises 130% wind energy. I looked into it and the data center they rent servers from (softlayer?) had made a deal to buy 10% of their power from a wind farm. Far from being 100% green as they advertised. They are also owned by EIG now.

The only thing I have against FatCow is they are notorious spammers. I've never used their services and never would just because of that.

The only hosting company that I know of that is 100% green is Canvasdreams (owns their own wind farm). I also could not find a bad review of them anywhere. I called and talked to a sales rep there last year and was pretty impressed.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Hmmm

Obviously you didn't look hard enough, this is in their support area: (id post the link but I have not reached 5 posts) look for "hostgator has gone green"

"HostGator has purchases certified Texas Wind Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) for 130% of the electricity used to both power and cool its shared and reseller servers."

Quote Originally Posted by kizzim View Post
    Obviously you didn't look hard enough, this is in their support area: (id post the link but I have not reached 5 posts) look for "hostgator has gone green"

"HostGator has purchases certified Texas Wind Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) for 130% of the electricity used to both power and cool its shared and reseller servers."
    Hostgator doesn't even own their own servers if I remember correctly but rents from Softlayer.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicman153 View Post
    Hostgator doesn't even own their own servers if I remember correctly but rents from Softlayer.
    Exactly, They rent servers from Softlayer.
    Wanna Wiki ? So here it is Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by kizzim View Post

Very interesting. They bought a piece of paper to power their servers, I also want some of that magic paper. Most 'green' initiatives aren't even worth the paper they're written on and a mere PR scheme (or is it a scam?).

Fatcow hosting is the single worst hosting provider on the planet. As someone who has actually owned and operated two large data centers, the incompetence level of this 'provider' is mind boggling. If you are considering Fatcow hosting consider this. I personally hosted a political action website with them and after building a viewing audience of approximately 14,000 people per day and several thousand in advertising... THEY 'OUT OF THE BLUE' CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT! The reason provided? "Your account are creating too many requests to the server" In other words, their 'oodles' of bandwidth and disk space is false advertising a.k.a. a lie! You can read the excuse below, from my chat session on 11/06/2012. DO NOT CONSIDER THIS PROVIDE FOR ANYTHING and tell as many other potential customers to run from Fatcow as well. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to send me an email to mikesmith32244@yahoo.com if you have any additional questions. As a small business owner, I know from personal experience, how difficult it is to build up a subscriber base and then to have it all wiped away and your traffic disrupted by a sub-par company like fatcow... Don't let it happen to you or anyone you know:

michael: Hello, our website associated with user: freedumbnationcom has been suspended for the THIRD TIME in just a couple of weeks. Why has this happened a second time?
    Sarai Kohler: I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.
    Sarai Kohler: May I place you on hold while I review your account and get back to you within 3 to 4 minutes?
    michael: yes please
    Sarai Kohler: Thank you for your patience. I will be back with some more information in 3 to 4 minutes.
    Sarai Kohler: Thank you for holding.
    Sarai Kohler: The following file(s) in your account are creating too many requests to the server and utilizing heavy network/server resources, which are resulting in critical issues with the server pool.
    Sarai Kohler: www/index.php
    Sarai Kohler: As a result, we have been forced to suspend your site, to protect services to our other customers.

They purchase carbon offsets + 30% to claim that efficiency for the power usage. Softlayer does as well so I would assume HG only has to purchase offsets for their NOC and offices, then piggy back from SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelsmith View Post
    Fatcow hosting is the single worst hosting provider on the planet. As someone who has actually owned and operated two large data centers, the incompetence level of this 'provider' is mind boggling. If you are considering Fatcow hosting consider this. I personally hosted a political action website with them and after building a viewing audience of approximately 14,000 people per day and several thousand in advertising... THEY 'OUT OF THE BLUE' CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT! The reason provided? "Your account are creating too many requests to the server" In other words, their 'oodles' of bandwidth and disk space is false advertising a.k.a. a lie! You can read the excuse below, from my chat session on 11/06/2012. DO NOT CONSIDER THIS PROVIDE FOR ANYTHING and tell as many other potential customers to run from Fatcow as well. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to send me an email to mikesmith32244@yahoo.com if you have any additional questions. As a small business owner, I know from personal experience, how difficult it is to build up a subscriber base and then to have it all wiped away and your traffic disrupted by a sub-par company like fatcow... Don't let it happen to you or anyone you know:

michael: Hello, our website associated with user: freedumbnationcom has been suspended for the THIRD TIME in just a couple of weeks. Why has this happened a second time?
    Sarai Kohler: I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.
    Sarai Kohler: May I place you on hold while I review your account and get back to you within 3 to 4 minutes?
    michael: yes please
    Sarai Kohler: Thank you for your patience. I will be back with some more information in 3 to 4 minutes.
    Sarai Kohler: Thank you for holding.
    Sarai Kohler: The following file(s) in your account are creating too many requests to the server and utilizing heavy network/server resources, which are resulting in critical issues with the server pool.
    Sarai Kohler: www/index.php
    Sarai Kohler: As a result, we have been forced to suspend your site, to protect services to our other customers.
    This is the second time you posted this now. You should make your own topic instead of replying to 7 year old threads or threads are are sort of.. irrelevant because you have an entire story to tell. The "oodles" of disk space and bandwidth they offer by the way are just another term for "unlimited". If you check their terms of service or acceptable use policy you will most likely see limitations in which you have passed. That is why your account was cancelled.

_____

My thoughts? I don't like EIG companies either. Not only are their advertisements a fluke, but every time a new company gets acquired by EIG their service just slumps and turns into a shadow of what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by StadenHosting View Post
    So last night I was at dinner with a few family members. My sister started to talk to me about her friend at work who is hosted by FatCow. My heart immediately sank. I explained they're owned by EIG and probably not that reliable with regards to support. She continued to tell me that her friend had a certificate from FatCow for using green hosting. I said it probably isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Of all the things to attract me to a host that certainly isn't one of them.

What are your thoughts?

I feel the same way when someone mentions their hosted on any of the usual suspects. I go into the "sales man mode" and tell them about what I can offer and what their dealing with...and I leave it in their court and let them know if they ever run into issues to call me. I also leave the decision with them since I also hate pushy sales people. A good percentage of such situations end up calling.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle