Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Colo4 Service Entrance 2 issue

There has been an issue affecting one of our 6 service entrances. The actual ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) is having an issue and all vendors are on site. Unfortunately, this is affecting service entrance 2 in the 3000 Irving facility so it is affecting a lot of the customers that have been here the longest.

The other entrance in 3000 is still up and working fine as well as the 4 entrances in 3004. Customers utilizing A/B should have access to their secondary link. It does appear that some customers were affected by a switch that had a failure in 3000. That has been addressed and should be up now.

This is not related to the PDU maintenance we had in 3004 last night. Separate building, service entrance, UPS, PDU, etc.

We will be updating customers as we get information from our vendors so that they know the estimated time for the outage. Once this has been resolved we also distribute a detailed RFO to those affected.

Our electrical contractors, UPS maintenance team and generator contractor are all on-site and working to determine what the best course of action is to get this back up.
      0 Not allowed!

Finally! Thanks for informing us the problem.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the update. Hope this won't be an all-nighter for me. (1.30am here)
      0 Not allowed!

after 1 hour and 30 minutes, i can see this update.
    can you update via twitter ?
      0 Not allowed!

Hope this will not take longer then 20 mins
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly, this is just not acceptable. A lot of your customers will be losing their customers.

- Whatever happened to proper redundancy and failover?
    - How can you possibly compensate your customers for losing their customers?
    - I am going to ask my provider why they go with you when you don't have a proper plan in place.

Last edited by wap35; 08-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Can you please let us know why there is obviously only one of this important component? Redundancy is the most important issue in data centers...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zdom View Post
    Can you please let us know why there is obviously only one of this important component? Redundancy is the most important issue in data centers...
    I'd be interested to know that as well.
      0 Not allowed!

People seems to be posting complaints here

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cl...=0CCAQnwIoATAA

Reviews Write a review
    Webmaster ‎ - Aug 10, 2011
    Down right now! 38 min. and counting. Unacceptable!
    10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate

Aug 10, 2011
    They go down way too often. This affects my business very adversely.
    7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate

Justin ‎ - Aug 10, 2011
    Not having a backup power plan is inexcusable. My clients are miffed and so am I...
    Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
    too many complaints in little time
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by elmister View Post
    People seems to be posting complaints here
    Those people are morons.

I think this is awful, I really do, not the outage, but how some people are freaking out and throwing Colo4 under the bus. If this happened every year, I'd understand... but this is a very, very freak sort of thing that no one is immune from. Google, Amazon, companies with budgets 1000x larger than Colo4 suffer outages of varying degrees, even power outages... there is nothing that is guaranteed in this world.
      0 Not allowed!

Sure, redundancy is completely necessary. How can we trust that tomorrow there will be no problem with other equipment that has no redundancy.

And about ETA to fix this issue?
      0 Not allowed!

This is not acceptable. They should have backup systems. I thought that was standard practice for hosts and data centers.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hosting reseller that's more dependable?
      0 Not allowed!

Paul, we've customers on the phone complaining, people is mostly asking for an ETA and we have nothing to tell them.

Could you give us an estimation?
      0 Not allowed!

But as far as i understand there IS redundancy. Customers who chose to be connected to both power feed A and power feed B are not affected. Those who chose to be connected to only one power feed (i.e. chose no redundancy) are affected.
      0 Not allowed!

The lack of communication is the issue for me. An hour and a half of downtime before there's any publicly available info about what's going on is unacceptable. They don't have a status reporting system (that I can find). They don't use Twitter. I understand that "stuff happens", but the most important part of keeping trust in the relationship is good communication, and they get a "fail" on that part.
      0 Not allowed!

I will ask this our hoster... No chance to switch all from A to B?
      0 Not allowed!

been 2 hours and counting..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    But as far as i understand there IS redundancy. Customers who chose to be connected to both power feed A and power feed B are not affected. Those who chose to be connected to only one power feed (i.e. chose no redundancy) are affected.
    Strange, because if I have redundancy obviously that my site also has.

But I can not access http://www.colo4.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Its 11.30PM in Mumbai, I hope, you will be up in couple of hours.
    This is not happening first time, this downtime event occurred 2 times in year 2011.
    Colo4 should maintain backup power plan.
      0 Not allowed!

Updates here will be slow, as our techs are working on affected customers. Redundancy is in place. We have 2 100% diverse power plants. With the PDU issue the other day and now an ATS issue having A/B power would have avoided any power issue.

As stated, equipment of any kind can fail no matter how redundant you make it. Each entrance has it's own generator, service entrance/transformers, UPS, PDU and even 30 hour fuel supply just to avoid having single points of failure.

I don't have an ETA on this plant returning. The contractors are going through the systems now to determine what caused the outage. This must be done before restoring a 2000 amp ATS (that's 2000 amps at 480 volt).

This is absolutely the first time we have had a service entrance failure, and still with an entire entrance going down customers using A/B were not affected. The website issue just shows that sometimes even with redundancy people make a mistake. It was on 2 power circuits to two UPSs, but same entrance. Our guys were focused on customers and didnt even catch that.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Formas View Post
    Strange, because if I have redundancy obviously that my site also has.

But I can not access http://www.colo4.com/
    Not necessarily. Only if you use a server with 2 redundant power supplies - those cost more usually.

And as stated above even when you have two power supplies there are ways to plug everything without redundancy
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry guys but it's unacceptable to be down for this long time.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zdom View Post
    Sorry guys but it's unacceptable to be down for this long time.
    What up time were you promised when you signed up?
      0 Not allowed!

Bet this wasn't in the contract when people signed up. That this could happen? Unacceptable.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast