Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Dedicated Server (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   litespeed http server review (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=616249)

HD Fanatic 03-27-2008 07:42 PM

I finally bit the bullet and decided to try litespeed, was hesistant not knowing how well it works with cPanel. The web server has been running on my server for over one week and let me tell you, it totally rocks! A million times better than Apache, it can't hold a handle next to LiteSpeed. :agree:

Websites load noticeably faster, CPU and memory usage dropped, no more slowdowns whatsoever, it's truly one amazing web server. ;) I can now sleep easier knowing it can handle large spikes in traffic and mitigate attacks with its anti-ddos settings. Speaking of that, litespeed handled one just few days ago easily, an IP opening hundreds of connections per second..it didn't slow down the server at all, loads were under 2 and memory usage under 10MB All this didn't impact the performance one bit, I just accidentally discovered it while checking the netstat command. :) Apache wouldn't choked under those conditions. LS is truly a robust and high scability server.

Their support is great too, George offers speedy replies and fixes bugs in 1-2 days. They even implement suggestions based on feedback from the users. I highly recommend you guys to try it, they offer a free trial so you have nothing to lose. Replacing and reverting back to Apache is very simple with almost no downtime. Version 4.0 will be out soon. :agree:

KarlZimmer 03-28-2008 01:40 AM

I agree. We've been using LiteSpeed ourselves for a couple weeks and it has been working great. It is definitely faster and gives us less to worry about. It seems it'll end up being worth the cost simply in saved support time trying to resolve various load issues/spikes with Apache, etc., etc. Not to mention the increased reliability, with truly zero downtime restarts, DDoS protection built-in, and the higher speed/efficiency.

HD Fanatic 03-28-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD Fanatic (Post 5030925)
Apache wouldn't choked under those conditions.

I meant to say Apache would have choked. :stickout:

The zero downtime graceful restarts are great, I must've restarted it over 100x by now, still in the process of tweaking. :D Why don't more mainstream web hosts use it?

HD Fanatic 04-16-2008 01:53 PM

I heard that wordpress is using nginx now. Wonder if they are testing it or not. :eek:

rustelekom 04-16-2008 07:59 PM

Nginx just not require any "testing". It just work:) Let see http://yandex.ru (it is search engine for Russia) or any other big site in Russia - all based on nginx. Many host giant here also used nginx on servers (but our hosts usually use own control panel and not use 3rd party developed software). One of them is Masterhost.ru which manage about 30 k clients or more and all their servers run with Nginx as frontend)
From the other side i must say that it is bit a hard for good setup and understanding. It's understandable because nginx coded by admin for admins and actually not for newbies :) But, i sure you may pay about 100-200 USD for setting nginx up for one heavily loaded site and you will get it to work without any problem and forever without any other fees. Pay little more (500-800 USD) and get it to work with Cpanel/Directadmin and with right and effective antiDDOS settings and modification and you will safe from lot of stupid attackers.
For me LiteSpeed over nginx/lighthttpd with it's web based interface and documentation and support only.

HD Fanatic 04-25-2009 05:38 PM

WHT is running on LiteSpeed now. :D

bhanuprasad1981 04-26-2009 03:12 AM

i want to switch my shared hosting to litespeed but my management guys (PSM) say they will not support me if i install litespeed :( ,my datacenter gigenet will install only litespeed for me but they will also not support future :( what you guys say ? should i switch to litespeed ? i host mostly vb sites, wp blogs, proxy sites & image hosting sites will this benifit me ? or get me in trouble :(

jon-f 04-26-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanuprasad1981 (Post 6151558)
i want to switch my shared hosting to litespeed but my management guys (PSM) say they will not support me if i install litespeed :( ,my datacenter gigenet will install only litespeed for me but they will also not support future :( what you guys say ? should i switch to litespeed ? i host mostly vb sites, wp blogs, proxy sites & image hosting sites will this benifit me ? or get me in trouble :(

I dont understand why PSM wouldn't support it. It basically uses the same syntax as all versions of Apache including mod_security, mod_rewrite, cache, etc. It's very easy to manage, low resource usage, etc. Litespeed is a server management company's dream come true only if they have a lil experience with it and are familiar with it. I would much rather manage someone;s server running litespeed then I would apache any day of the week. Maybe PSM will come around sometime. but I will tell you using litespeed, installing it, configuring it, etc is not hard at all and there is a lot of info on the litespeed wiki and forums. PLus you can always switch back to apache with no problems if you choose you don't like it. So If I was you Id give it a try, if you still need someone to manage it, then look around for a different management company who supports litespeed. It's kind of weird a management company not supporting litespeed. I would understand if there had been like massive problems with the conversion and control panel integration but that is the furthest form the truth. Litespeed integrates very well into server and control panel. There have been hardly any issues at all. And the ones that have arose have been minor.

nwmcsween 04-26-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felosi (Post 6151597)
I dont understand why PSM wouldn't support it. It basically uses the same syntax as all versions of Apache including mod_security, mod_rewrite, cache, etc. It's very easy to manage, low resource usage, etc. Litespeed is a server management company's dream come true only if they have a lil experience with it and are familiar with it. I would much rather manage someone;s server running litespeed then I would apache any day of the week. Maybe PSM will come around sometime. but I will tell you using litespeed, installing it, configuring it, etc is not hard at all and there is a lot of info on the litespeed wiki and forums. PLus you can always switch back to apache with no problems if you choose you don't like it. So If I was you Id give it a try, if you still need someone to manage it, then look around for a different management company who supports litespeed. It's kind of weird a management company not supporting litespeed. I would understand if there had been like massive problems with the conversion and control panel integration but that is the furthest form the truth. Litespeed integrates very well into server and control panel. There have been hardly any issues at all. And the ones that have arose have been minor.

It's not open source; there is no way to see if the problem is to do with the program or the configuration meaning countless hours could be spent looking at something that can't be fixed.

HD Fanatic 04-26-2009 09:11 PM

The developer is usually quick in replying and fixing bugs. He will even login to your server to help you free of charge. :agree:

gdtechind 04-27-2009 08:12 AM

LightSpeed is Amazing.
i am using paid version, $44 per month.

NetWatcher 04-27-2009 01:53 PM

We use LiteSpeed almost on all our Shared Hosting servers, and servers are really more stable then with Apache. I cannot remember when we had problems with some overload or downtime. :agree:

Mike - Limestone 04-27-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turelio (Post 6153864)
We use LiteSpeed almost on all our Shared Hosting servers, and servers are really more stable then with Apache. I cannot remember when we had problems with some overload or downtime. :agree:

LiteSpeed is definitely an exceptional product.

-mike

jon-f 10-22-2009 04:32 PM

I know this is an old thread and I may get in trouble for bumping it but I wanted to update since I have been using it since I made this thread which is over 2 years ago.

We still use litespeed on all of our servers and still swear by it. There has been a few problems here and there with bugs and security issues but it all gets fixed real fast. I know George personally and he listens to all of my reports and concerns no matter how paranoid or minor they are. He is a great guy and listens to his customers.

I give litespeed credit for making my business what it is today. I simply could not have done it with apache or any other web server. When I first made this post I was pretty much struggling trying to do ddos protected hosting with apache, with litespeed it made it much easier. Litespeed does not do it all for you, there is still lots of server and network level things needed but overall it is a very essential part of our services. I would also like to add that our network Staminus.net has also been an essential part of our growth. Without either one we probably would have been another failed hosting company.

I see lots of other hosts have converted to litespeed and lots of users like it. This makes for more competiton but Im glad to see it take off the way it did. I would like to think that I helped Litespeed grow to what it is today from my reviews, reccomendations and feedback.

And that is it, please dont kill me mods for bumping this :( I seen it on a google search and figured I would give it a 2 year update :)

CoderJosh 10-24-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felosi (Post 6457748)
I know this is an old thread and I may get in trouble for bumping it but I wanted to update since I have been using it since I made this thread which is over 2 years ago.

I hope you don't get in trouble, I think it's great that you gave us an update, thanks for your 2-year Litespeed review! Considering this and other reports, it looks like Litespeed is an excellent choice for many web servers.