Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Computers and Peripherals Tutorials (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Fix Sleeping Problems with Windows Vista (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=608192)

mikejg 05-26-2007 03:34 AM

Fix Sleeping Problems with Windows Vista

I hope this is an OK place for this post. Just spent a long time trying to sort this out and finally found the solution in Google after running down countless dead ends.

If your Vista PC won't sleep some of the time, it just hangs when the new hybrd sleep mode is writing the RAM contents to disk, and you have to hard boot, try this:

"Start" > Control Panel
Select Mouse
Go to the Hardware tab
Click Properties
Go to the Power Management tab
Clear the Allow this device to wake the computer checkbox

I first tried disabling wakup by device in the bios, wake on lan in the network adapter settings in windows, different ACPI modes in the bios, and none of it made any difference.

The reason the problem was intermittent is because only some of the time did the mouse get moved during shut down.

TBWS 01-23-2008 03:20 PM

Still getting an error, dam i hate Vista!

twhiting9275 02-09-2008 09:52 AM

An even better idea:

Don't use hibernation!

In god knows how many years, I've never once used hibernation, it's just not an option. Put your PC to work when YOU'RE sleeping, have it do the av scans, defragments, auto-engine submissions, etc, but don't use hibernation!

This is one idea Microsoft never had right to begin with, even with XP. Why waste the idle time there, put the PC to work for you when you're not using it, instead of turning it off/hibernating.

The Dude 02-26-2008 12:33 AM

Hibernation is stupid,uses alot of memory to store everything...

I dunno why they created that anyway!

RajanUrs 03-28-2008 10:55 AM

Actually Hibernate takes up harddisk space equivalent to the physical RAM of the system which is not very much considering the large capacity harddisks in use these days.

Biju 04-05-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajanUrs (Post 5031737)
Actually Hibernate takes up harddisk space equivalent to the physical RAM of the system which is not very much considering the large capacity harddisks in use these days.

It saves power and prob you can start your work from the place you left! Nice option from the Microsoft team.

Sheikh Ahsan 07-15-2009 05:13 AM

Worked for me thanks !!!

Symond_Obrian 07-15-2009 06:04 AM

thanks for the valuable solution!!

BC-enetsouth 07-19-2009 05:56 PM

I think hibernation or "standby" is ok for mobile computing. But for the desktop .. not so much.

Also I think its harder on your drives spinning them up and down 50 times a day.

Just cut your monitor off and close open app's.. A lot of people don't realize just because you have a 700 watt power supply in your computer its not pulling 700 watts the whole time its on. Only under load if you have enough stuff to pull that much.

Just sitting there doing nothing it's pulling a lot less current than you think.

The Dude 07-21-2009 11:48 PM

Thats stupid also..... JUST TURN IT OFF!!

Do you leave the stove on when your not using it??

Why are people so wastefull when it comes to thier computers??

Give them a break when not using them!!

twhiting9275 07-22-2009 12:37 AM

Computers are designed to run tasks in the background, when you're not using them. Some processor and memory intensive tasks should only be run when you're not using the computer.

EoNetworks 07-24-2009 06:35 PM

My hibernate always hangs on my Windows 7 PC's(and Vista before I upgraded). So I never use it.

I always set my virus scan, defrag, etc. to run in the middle of the day. At night when it's lights out, I turn my PC's completely off.

AquaCyclone 07-24-2009 08:35 PM

SETI@Home, Folding@Home. Ringing bells? With all the everyday junk that you do behind the scenes just turn off the monitor and walk away. (Or for some of us, turn off the backlights on your G15) Like linux-tech said, let it update and run AV/malware scans. Defrag the sucker, run tedious tasks that don't require you to be sitting there. As the years go on I see less and less need to turn my comp off. I've got a new 1200watt PSU in my tower and it doesn't suck that down 24/7. If you wanna save power, turn off the printer/scanner and extra crap and leave the tower running.

warzone09 08-15-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBWS (Post 4921296)
Still getting an error, dam i hate Vista!

That's why I move to XP :)

Vista was a pain:mad:

M Bacon 08-22-2009 05:56 PM

Right click the desktop and click personalize. ;)