Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Providers and Network Outages and Updates (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Downtownhost EU1 server down (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1150951)

aux 05-01-2012 11:32 AM

Downtownhost EU1 server down

Downtownhost's EU1 server has been down for 6+ hours. No communication to the users for the extended downtime, chat is offline, nothing in the Latest News section on their website, just the hyperspin network status shows the server down. Not a good start of the month.

I assume that it is a serious problem, but an email to the users or announcement on the website is more than necessary for such a long downtime. Too bad that I have more than 6 months prepaid. They were good in the beginning but that server has been having all sorts of issues in the last couple of months.

Edit: the DNS servers seem to be hosted on the same box or nearby, and are down too. Maybe because of that CloudFlare (the basic free service that doesn't handle DNS) can't kick in. CPanel is down too.

aux 05-02-2012 02:14 AM

https://www.downtownhost.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=129

Quote:

Problems on Server in Europe
Posted By: Diego Miramoa On: 02 May 2012 12:20 AM
Details Shared and VPS server in Europe

The datacenter accidentaly unplugged the servers, we are working with the people there trying to recover everything back as it was before their mistake.
We really sorry about all this problems and appreciate your patience on this metter
21+ hrs downtime, not good.

aux 05-02-2012 02:57 AM

And just like that it's up now. Almost a day of downtime :(

aux 05-03-2012 01:28 AM

And down again. 7+ hours.
No communication from Downtown host for the new downtime.

mdrussell 05-03-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aux (Post 8101955)
And down again. 7+ hours.
No communication from Downtown host for the new downtime.

If this is the case, surely it's time to consider alternative providers?

aux 05-03-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdrussell (Post 8102065)
If this is the case, surely it's time to consider alternative providers?

If I were hosting higher-profile websites there, I would have left long time ago.

The issue is that I stupidly prepaid for a long term because they seemed to be a reliable host. Their other servers seem fine, at least in terms of uptime, but they are having issues with the EU1 server for a long time.

AzaraT 05-03-2012 07:13 AM

Yeah I have an account there as well, and moving as soon as possible. They are currently migrating all accounts to a new server FYI.

They are unwilling to provide me with a backup while this happens. Surely I thought it would be possible to fetch a backup from R1Soft (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...21#post8102321 ?) but they say it's not possible when the server is down...

Also they do provide pro-rated refunds so it shouldn't be a problem to get your prepaid money back ;)

aux 05-03-2012 08:23 AM

It seems that they were shut down intentionally by the datacenter, and not by mistake. I don't think that a mistake like this could happen twice in 2-3 days.

I know that s#@! happens, but the lack of communication is concerning. I'm out too.

AzaraT 05-03-2012 09:28 AM

yeah the lack of communication is indeed the real issue here. Downtime happens, but they haven't handled it very well at all.

bobbyrabbit 05-03-2012 11:53 AM

I have been really pleased with downtownhost for the last 18 months. The uptime has been superb and I have always found support ticket times very quick. Over the last few months the EU1 server has got progressively slow though. I'm getting very disillusioned with web hosts at the moment.

aux 05-03-2012 12:57 PM

And now the hyporspin report shows EU1 as up, but my site is down. Perhaps they changed servers, but didn't set everything yet.

AzaraT 05-03-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aux (Post 8102886)
And now the hyporspin report shows EU1 as up, but my site is down. Perhaps they changed servers, but didn't set everything yet.

The last update I got from them (via support ticket) was that they wanted to migrate to a new server, however last night the old server stopped working, so the migration did not finish and now they're working on getting the old server to work again....

aux 05-03-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzaraT (Post 8102888)
The last update I got from them (via support ticket) was that they wanted to migrate to a new server, however last night the old server stopped working, so the migration did not finish and now they're working on getting the old server to work again....

Thanks for that update.

bobbyrabbit 05-03-2012 01:36 PM

Can login to cPanel via IP address

AzaraT 05-03-2012 06:23 PM

yeah seems like they've moved away from Leaseweb to InfiniteTech.eu, I'm doing a backup as fast as I can as I can now login :)