Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Running a Web Hosting Business (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Paypal settlement charges for un-authorized payment , what the hell ? Need help (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1127538)

troboy 02-17-2012 02:10 PM

Paypal settlement charges for un-authorized payment , what the hell ? Need help

Hi,
We had a customer who signedup in january 2012.
He signedup Paypal Subscription. His account got activated within seconds.
Suddenly in starting of Feb 2012, he filed case of un-authorized payment.

Just now case was solved and paypal charged us $10(Settlement charges) + $2(Hosting fee which he has paid)

In resolution center we provided his signup details, his IP and all those which are required. But nothing worked.
What I think, buyer should contact hosting company in such case.

So in whole scenario, it was not our fault. We lost $10 for nothing. And above this, there is no way to tell this to Paypal.

How can I contact Paypal ? Paypal is running in India and it should have its office but no address or tel number is given.

It screws up !!:mad::mad:

Stuart_c 02-17-2012 07:56 PM

I think this is just the nature of business tbh. I don't reckon it's worth spending much time over $10. Frustrating as it is, just cut your losses and move on.

PCS-Chris 02-17-2012 08:08 PM

We have seen much larger settlement fees than $10... It sucks but its one of the drawbacks of using PayPal, despite all the claims they offer little to no protection for sellers.

Stuart_c 02-17-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCS-Chris (Post 7961881)
We have seen much larger settlement fees than $10... It sucks but its one of the drawbacks of using PayPal, despite all the claims they offer little to no protection for sellers.

It's sad that they treat sellers like this. If nobody accepted PayPal, then nobody would really use PayPal. PayPal doesn't seem to understand it's the sellers keeping them in business and by not treating them right they are only hurting themselves.

benjohnsonfs 02-18-2012 11:16 PM

You can contact them through email but I think its useless to spend your time and effort for $10 only. You should look for a second option also for receiving payments.

troboy 02-18-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjohnsonfs (Post 7963593)
You can contact them through email but I think its useless to spend your time and effort for $10 only. You should look for a second option also for receiving payments.

Sellers dont have any choice rather to just give away $10.:rolleyes:
Its not just amount, its about principle.

target 02-19-2012 04:30 AM

10 dollar isn't much for a business ... cry an hour and get over it. If you can't live with it stop using Paypal, it's the only solution.

KarlZimmer 02-19-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCS-Chris (Post 7961881)

With most other payment methods the fees are going to be higher than that. Chargeback fees from credit card merchant accounts are generally $25 or more.

stablehost 02-19-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlZimmer (Post 7963870)
With most other payment methods the fees are going to be higher than that. Chargeback fees from credit card merchant accounts are generally $25 or more.

Yep, I'd love to pay only $10. Consider yourself lucky.

BeZazz 02-19-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troboy (Post 7963636)
Sellers dont have any choice rather to just give away $10.:rolleyes:
Its not just amount, its about principle.

The thing that annoys me is PayPal handle the transaction, say it is ok and give you the money.
Then you provide the service.
Then PayPal takes back the money and charges you $10 for taking the money they gave you.

qwizie 02-19-2012 10:17 AM

Now that is horrible. Did the client contact you first about leaving or did he/she just up and leave?

KarlZimmer 02-19-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeZazz (Post 7964102)
The thing that annoys me is PayPal handle the transaction, say it is ok and give you the money.
Then you provide the service.
Then PayPal takes back the money and charges you $10 for taking the money they gave you.

Yes, I agree, that is the trouble with PayPal. With PayPal payments PayPal has all the info, they're the ones in a position to verify the transaction and information, but you as a vendor have a lot less information than you'd get with a standard credit card transaction. I do not understand why PayPal does so little to prevent fraud themselves, not even requiring any sort of account security (such as the one-time security codes) and then not telling the vendor when such a code was used...

Honey_Hosting 02-19-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troboy (Post 7961297)
Hi,
We had a customer who signedup in january 2012.
He signedup Paypal Subscription. His account got activated within seconds.
Suddenly in starting of Feb 2012, he filed case of un-authorized payment.

Just now case was solved and paypal charged us $10(Settlement charges) + $2(Hosting fee which he has paid)

In resolution center we provided his signup details, his IP and all those which are required. But nothing worked.
What I think, buyer should contact hosting company in such case.

So in whole scenario, it was not our fault. We lost $10 for nothing. And above this, there is no way to tell this to Paypal.

How can I contact Paypal ? Paypal is running in India and it should have its office but no address or tel number is given.

It screws up !!:mad::mad:

I had this same issue one time. Hosting is a service, not a product (like an ipad). Pay Pal will not refund services.

troboy 02-19-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Now that is horrible. Did the client contact you first about leaving or did he/she just up and leave?

No he didnt contact. We sent him email regarding this but received no reply

Kalriath 02-20-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honey_Hosting (Post 7964464)
I had this same issue one time. Hosting is a service, not a product (like an ipad). Pay Pal will not refund services.

Um, his post says the exact opposite - PayPal did refund a service, and did so without offering him the chance to present his case.

Incidentally, if PayPal doesn't offer you the chance to respond, I've heard this can be because the transaction was disputed via the card issuer, and PayPal does not defend against card issuer challenges. Sucks, and it's the reason I refuse to accept PayPal now.