Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Domain Names (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Seeking to purchase domain name for my photography (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1122368)


Owhat 02-01-2012 02:27 AM

Seeking to purchase domain name for my photography
 
Hi All,

I'm new to this stuff and am just wondering if you guys could help suggest some web sites where I could purchase a domain name for my new photography business.

It's nothing extreme, so I don't need a service that can support crazy volumes of traffic or anything like that. I'd just like to host high resolution images, and provide information about my services and stuff like that - nothing fancy.

Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 02:46 AM

So you are looking for hosting, not for domain, or both?
You need help choosing the name or just choosing the company which will host your site?

Owhat 02-01-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Michael (Post 7932506)
So you are looking for hosting, not for domain, or both?
You need help choosing the name or just choosing the company which will host your site?

I already have the name(it is available, luckily), I just need help choosing a reliable company to host the site.

Currently, I use flickr.com to host my images. Would you recommend that I keep it that way and just mirror it to my web site, or host it myself all together?

Sorry, if my web hosting terminology is subpar. Again, I'm new to all of this and will not actually be the one building the web site. I just want to own the domain name for now, so that I can print it on my business cards.

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owhat (Post 7932514)
I already have the name(it is available, luckily), I just need help choosing a reliable company to host the site.

Then, you opened the thread in the wrong board. Moderators will move it I suppose :)

Quote:

Currently, I use flickr.com to host my images. Would you recommend that I keep it that way and just mirror it to my web site, or host it myself all together?
I strongly recommend to leave flickr and get your own site since it is business, not only personal.

Quote:

Sorry, if my web hosting terminology is subpar. Again, I'm new to all of this and will not actually be the one building the web site. I just want to own the domain name for now, so that I can print it on my business cards.
You are doing very well asking here. We will be happy to assist you in every question you may have.

Owhat 02-01-2012 05:11 AM

Ok, let me start off by apologizing for the mix up. I'm confusing myself with all of this stuff since I'm very unfamiliar with web hosting.

When I said that I had the name, I didn't mean that I registered or purchased the domain name yet. I was implying that I had it thought out in my head and ran a search to check it's availability.

Now, I started this thread to find out where I should purchase the domain name from. I don't wanna go to godaddy for obvious reasons, but I do not know of any other options.

To my understanding, I thought that the company that you purchase the domain name from will also host that web site for you. Sadly, I am mistaken. Am I? I have no idea. Haha.

So... to sum it up... I need to know where I should purchase the domain name for my photography site, as well as what company I should use to host it. I would like to put high resolution images up on the site and just basic information about my photography services.

I've read namecheap is a good alternative to godaddy, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks so much in advance.

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owhat (Post 7932681)
To my understanding, I thought that the company that you purchase the domain name from will also host that web site for you. Sadly, I am mistaken. Am I? I have no idea. Haha.

Domain is completely different service from Hosting. You can buy both from the same company, or you can choose 2 different companies, one for domain and one for hosting. Hope it helps. :)

Will you build the site yourself?

Owhat 02-01-2012 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Michael (Post 7932686)
Domain is completely different service from Hosting. You can buy both from the same company, or you can choose 2 different companies, one for domain and one for hosting. Hope it helps.

I see. Thank you so much for clearing that up! Which thread should I be posting this in, then? Am I at least in the right thread for the first part of my question - figuring out who to buy the domain name through?

I do not have the skills to build web sites, so I'll have to pay someone to do it for me, but I would like to purchase the domain name now, so that I can put it on my business cards.

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owhat (Post 7932688)
I see. Thank you so much for clearing that up! Which thread should I be posting this in, then? Am I at least in the right thread for the first part of my question - figuring out who to buy the domain name through?

You are in the right place! :)

Owhat 02-01-2012 05:30 AM

Ok, I'm not sure what happened, but a user asked me to PM him/her, but I have no idea how to do that in this forum, so I just sent a friend request. When I refreshed this page, the comment had disappeared. Either the user deleted his/her comment, or I didn't PM quickly enough. :(

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owhat (Post 7932701)
Ok, I'm not sure what happened, but a user asked me to PM him/her, but I have no idea how to do that in this forum, so I just sent a friend request. When I refreshed this page, the comment had disappeared. Either the user deleted his/her comment, or I didn't PM quickly enough. :(

Or the moderators removed the post because of terms violation.

Owhat 02-01-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Michael (Post 7932703)
Or the moderators removed the post because of terms violation.

I see. Thanks for your prompt responses. Where do you think I should go to purchase my domain name?

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owhat (Post 7932705)
I see. Thanks for your prompt responses. Where do you think I should go to purchase my domain name?

I have used only Namecheap on the past. They were good. Not as cheap as their name says, but fair enough.

Owhat 02-01-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Michael (Post 7932706)
I have used only Namecheap on the past. They were good. Not as cheap as their name says, but fair enough.

I see. Maybe I'll just have to go with them. Don't know how long I can hold out on ordering those business cards. Haha.

What about web hosting? Any companies you would recommend?

Mad_matt 02-01-2012 05:37 AM

i use and recommend namecheap.com

for namecheap, if you google namecheap + coupons you should be able to get a discount.

edit:

my post got sniped by about 5 posts.
namecheap.com for domain names, ill let others suggest good hosting companies.

Dr_Michael 02-01-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owhat (Post 7932709)
What about web hosting? Anything companies you would recommend?

In order to narrow down your search, my advices are:

1. Keep away from unlimited space and traffic.
2. Choose a plan with unlimited email accounts, addon domains, parked domains, subdomains, etc.
3. Choose a host who provides at least 3 levels of backup.
4. Investigate the years of presence.
5. Choose a host which doesn't shut down your site because of consuming cpu and ram resources.
6. ping test before registering.
7. send emails before regsitering to test how fast do they reply.
8. ask for uptime chart.
9. ask for server load chart.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© WebHostingTalk, 1998 - 2014. All Rights Reserved.