Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Game Servers (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Planning on starting a game server. (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1118166)

Individuality 01-18-2012 04:01 PM

Planning on starting a game server.

Hi everyone

I'm new here and I assume that you come across threads like this very often but this is what this site and specifically this section is about, isn't it?

K I'm new to hosting, I've designed few websites in past and administrate the website of the Corporation where I work. I'm registered as on of the experts in experts exchange community. I'm experienced in technical field of computers both hard and soft.

I've been planning on starting a game server and intend to host Z8Games Crossfire etc games which is really going to help a lot of players as there are no servers of Z8Games in South-Southeast Asia.

The hardware I have is-
Core i5 2500K 3.3 Ghz 4 cores 6MB L3 Cache
16 GB DDR3 GSkill 1600MHz RAM (Dual Channel)
500 GB Seagate HDD

I don't have any idea on how much Bandwidth etc Z8Games require so I'll have to upgrade that after consulting with them.

I don't know which server OS and CPanel I should be using.

Any help and suggestions will be helpful.

Geovanie R 01-18-2012 04:07 PM

Typically I'd recommend Linux (CentOS) and cPanel Game Server, with Mumble for the chat service, but I'm not familiar with Z8Games, and cPGS doesn't supports it natively, so it's really a toss up. Have you tried approaching the main distributor and seeing their recommendation? Chances are they're willing to help you set a server, especially if the studio is fairly small. I'd imagine developing a relationship with them wouldn't be too difficult considering you're exposing their product to a new market.

Individuality 01-18-2012 04:15 PM

There's a 50/50 chance of them hiring me for hosting their game so I thought it'd be better if I'd set up the main requirements they would ask for.

They make different games with different versions- like an FPS of theirs is released in NA, SA, EU, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese Japanese versions with all having their own respective servers. Their NA version utilizes few US and UK based servers but I've noticed a great deal of Asian players with relatively high pings playing with lag. So I thought an Asian server for their NA version of game would be a great help to thousands of players as North American players will get rid of lagging players and Asian ones will get rid of lag which will ultimately benefit Z8Games.

Coolraul 01-18-2012 04:24 PM

A quick google search turned this up:

http://crossfire.z8games.com/downloads2.aspx

It is a windows based game. I would check that site out for information on running a gameserver.

Geovanie, I don't think he meant cpanel as in Cpanel.net but just control panel generically.

Coolraul 01-18-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Individuality (Post 7908669)
There's a 50/50 chance of them hiring me for hosting their game so I thought it'd be better if I'd set up the main requirements they would ask for.

They make different games with different versions- like an FPS of theirs is released in NA, SA, EU, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese Japanese versions with all having their own respective servers. Their NA version utilizes few US and UK based servers but I've noticed a great deal of Asian players with relatively high pings playing with lag. So I thought an Asian server for their NA version of game would be a great help to thousands of players as North American players will get rid of lagging players and Asian ones will get rid of lag which will ultimately benefit Z8Games.

Hard to do if you don't know the requirements. Check their site or ask other server operators what they run but it should all be there on their website.

Individuality 01-18-2012 04:37 PM

It's not hard to contact them for this but before that I need to be sure that I'm completely set up for any average FPS multiplayer game so that they could consider my proposal.

Even if they don't need my services I'm not set to be hired only by them and if we put Z8Games aside, how's my current machine conf and how much more do I need to invest in it if it's not going to do?

Rikaelus 02-03-2012 05:38 AM

I think the Linux/Windows question will be the biggest for you to know up front. Linux is typically a more efficient environment for running game servers, but smaller developers don't always take the time to make Linux server software.

And of course the OS will dictate a lot of the software/config recommendations you'll receive.