Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Dedicated Server (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Turnkey Internet - Great service, 19 month Review. (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1099649)

nerdzoll 11-18-2011 03:26 AM

Turnkey Internet - Great service, 19 month Review.

I figured after I have lurked around here for so long as I look to move to my next Turnkey Internet dedicated server that I should post a review of them thus far. Also as it seems as good a time as any due to some negative feedback they have received in a recent post. So I thought I would give you an unbiased AND HOLISTIC review of my time with them.

On and off I have been with Turnkey for a total of 19 months, during this time I have used their VPS services and dedicated services. I say that I have been with Turnkey on and off as at one stage I decided to go hunting for a better deal elsewhere. Lesson learned, you pay with peanuts and you get monkeys... in *most cases* However after coming back and now being with them through the life of two dedicated servers I can happily say with Turnkey I pay peanuts and get the gorillas of the forest when it comes to robustness, stability and service.

So without further adieu, below is a summary of my experiences:

Customer service 8.8/10:
I am extremely happy with their service and a nine is about the highest I would ever give a company as there is always wiggle room for improvement. However upon reflecting on my time with them the only things that spring to mind are the occasional teething issue with a new server which was always rapidly addressed.

To dig into this further I had a look through my history of tickets
Total tickets logged: 69
First ticket logged: April 2010
Most recent ticket logged on: Today
%of tickets that were resolved without frustration or issue: Jost over 96% of them, with one being a nightmare but more on that later.

Nick (12/10): Now Nick gets a special mention as he is the person I most get to deal with at Turnkey customer service. I am guessing this must be due to the time zones. Nick never fails to remember me and is always polite, friendly and chirpy when we chat. Even today as I was looking to get something a bit beefier with their new specials Nick spent over an hour and a half with me on chat discussing options (as well as multitasking with other clients that had higher priority requests).

Network 10/10:
I have always found the network to be robust, have only ever once had downtime (which was scheduled and kept short for core router upgrades IIRC) and considering I live in Australia give me great speeds across the great divide.

Prices 9.5/10:
Price has always been great, the staff have always been able to get something that suits my budget and where a stock model was not available have worked to get something for me to suit my requirements.

Issues I have faced:
Over the three dedicated servers I have had so far, with each one I have generally had minor teething issues such as a cPanel not being installed and some minor configuration issues when I was using an ESXi machine. A ticket to support had these resolved promptly and after the first 24 hours I have been all set and ready to roll.

One ticket I logged I faced an epic nightmare, I was due to have a rebuild of my server completed, had backed everything up (I only have one server, I run it privately) and shut everything down. Unfortunately I discovered that if you respond to a ticket in their support queue it sends it to the back of the queue (one thing that could be improved on I would have to say) so because I put a message in, then hadn't heard anything 2 hours later and put another one in it went to the back of the queue.

After that major issue I had the CEO of Turnkey Internet email me to let me know what had happened, and what procedures had been put in place to ensure it would not happen in future, admittedly I also asked them to do something on rather short notice and I should have done extra planning as well so I will also take a hit here and say I could have done better planning rather than leaving things until the last minute which probably would have negated the whole issue.

Summary

So would I stay with them… heck yes, I left and came back again… Why? because besides the occasional blip on the customer service side (as I said, with all the tickets I log not much at all) I have seen a very good side of customer service. I can also happily say that I am running my server unmanaged so they provide great levels of assistance considering I pay them no extra for that.

Would I recommend Turnkey? Without a doubt, great prices, great service and once you get over the initial 24 hours and iron out any hiccups in the setup everything is ROCK solid.

Have I had issues with Turnkey? Yes, as I mentioned above there have been some blips on the radar and one which had the CEO in contact with me, but all in all the only reason I could remember this was because I went back through my tickets. 96% of my issues have been dealt with quickly and professionally, 4% for me is more than acceptable as "the occasional issue".

If you have any questions I am more than happy to answer them about my time with Turnkey so fire away.
Stuart

yiso91 11-18-2011 10:04 AM

Brilliant review
Recommend them for production VPS ?

Regards,,,,

Rob Hivelocity 11-18-2011 10:52 AM

Great review! Seems you found your home!

nerdzoll 11-18-2011 06:16 PM

@Yiso91 Yea I would have no issue the VPS when I used it was really zippy and the only reason I moved off was because I outgrew it and wanted to go up to dedicated.

@Rob I certainly think I have, I can say I have never been happier and it is all just nice and easy, like I don't have to worry about it.

inso 11-19-2011 10:00 AM

I missed their Black Friday promotin -- sold out!

aiki 11-19-2011 08:57 PM

I paid for a server with their Black Friday promotion immediately via Paypal well before they sold out, they then made me jump through hoops sending in photo ID etc - now they are saying they have sold out and cannot give me a server (even though they have my money).

They are offering to 'work something out' - once they respond to the ticket I will know what that is. They now have the opportunity to show how they treat customers in this situation. If it is inline with Nerdzoll's experience they should do the right thing, if not it will be an interesting contrast.

I'll update this thread with the outcome.

techjr 11-19-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiki (Post 7807112)
I paid for a server with their Black Friday promotion immediately via Paypal well before they sold out, they then made me jump through hoops sending in photo ID etc - now they are saying they have sold out and cannot give me a server (even though they have my money).

They are offering to 'work something out' - once they respond to the ticket I will know what that is. They now have the opportunity to show how they treat customers in this situation. If it is inline with Nerdzoll's experience they should do the right thing, if not it will be an interesting contrast.

I'll update this thread with the outcome.

Hopefully it will turn out well. There sales team forgot my ticket a great while ago but once that was resolved and a server was out of stock, they gave me a slightly slower cpu and more memory.

aiki 11-24-2011 06:53 AM

I'm pleased to report that Turnkey Internet contacted me and sorted everything out. Nice to have a company that does the right thing by their customers.

Server has been provisioned and is running perfectly. Both support and sales have been courteous and professional.

Another satisfied customer.

techjr 11-24-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiki (Post 7815110)
I'm pleased to report that Turnkey Internet contacted me and sorted everything out. Nice to have a company that does the right thing by their customers.

Server has been provisioned and is running perfectly. Both support and sales have been courteous and professional.

Another satisfied customer.

That's nice to hear.

I have been seeing bad reviews lately and that's usually been because the persons order was denied and refunded or initial setup problems and for me at least, turnkey internet always fixes with a respectable response to the issue.

nerdzoll 11-25-2011 12:32 AM

Hi Aiki,
Awesome to hear, glad that they helped you out.

@Techjr, I am the same, like I mentioned had one or two hiccups but other than that have always had spectacular service and couldn't be happier.
Stuart

getownsite 11-28-2011 12:03 PM

I just bought VPS from them. Though VPS is not ready but I am very much satisfied with their services. Support is informing me all the steps taken by them. Due to Black Friday special offer they are very over loaded. I highly appreciate their live chat team too. I got angry on them as my VPS is not ready but they did not react. I am sorry to live support team about my this act.

I wish them best of luck.