Web Hosting Talk

Web Hosting Talk (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/index.php)
-   Providers and Network Outages and Updates (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Colo4 Service Entrance 2 issue (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1072692)

Ed-Freethought 08-10-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynnyelle (Post 7620220)
Then they need to switch to the power lines that are working.

You can't just "switch" a megawatt of power around like that. The supporting power infrastructure is large and complex and not something that should be played around with on a whim without any proper planning, never mind the fact that working with this level of electricity means one slip and you're dead.

Customers that paid for full A+B redundancy still have power from the B side. Customers that opted to only take a single power feed from the A side will have to wait until the problem with the A side is repaired.

wynnyelle 08-10-2011 04:26 PM

Well I guess that explains how my host screwed up. They made a bad decision that's going to give me some serious food for thought.

boskone 08-10-2011 04:27 PM

That's false info.

Lots of hosts with A/B are down in the DC effected.

Colo4's own core network is also down (which one would imagine uses A+B power)

StevenMoir 08-10-2011 04:27 PM

Beginning of the end?

Servers are down for more than 6 hours; Our customers are getting agitated; Is this the beginning of the end for all of US and COLO4?

Steve

soniceffect 08-10-2011 04:29 PM

Just seen on a twitter post someone who just got off phone to colo4. Provisional eta of 1800 CST (around 2.5 hours) ... Ouch.

Garfieldcat5 08-10-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynnyelle (Post 7620004)
I already threatened to quit my webhost for this. He's said he's quitting colo4 now though so we shall see.

I'd think twice about that, they have a pretty stiff ETF.

DomineauX 08-10-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenMoir (Post 7620255)
Servers are down for more than 6 hours; Our customers are getting agitated; Is this the beginning of the end for all of US and COLO4?

Steve

Should only be 4.5 hours down so far.

bear 08-10-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomineauX (Post 7620284)
Should only be 4.5 hours down so far.

Yup, our bells starting ringing about 12:03 Eastern. 4:40 now.

wynnyelle 08-10-2011 04:44 PM

Doesn't matter, if they offered a solution and my host didn't take that solution then my host had no place advertising themselves to me as having any sort of proof against this kind of thing. Someone's to blame. I wish I really knew who so I could form a plan of action.

iwod 08-10-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh_lorax (Post 7619977)
Do you people who are screaming for an ETA really not understand how this stuff works? Really? You're IT people, right?

You make your FIRST post since joining in 2005... Welcome :D:D:D

I think most people would rather have Colo4 lied to them they need 8 hours to get it repair rather them knowing nothing.

Although from a client / customer perspective. 8 hours of fixing and not telling them anything makes no different... Those who leave will leave.......

wynnyelle 08-10-2011 04:47 PM

Around noon is when we went down. It was shaping up to be a good, brisk day on my site too. It's become the year's worst disaster.

Patrick 08-10-2011 04:47 PM

Most people will stay. Let's be realistic here, it's not like Colo4 has power outages every month. Yes, there have been a few DDoS attacks in the last couple of months that affected network stability but hardly anything to worry about. People panic and freak out when they start losing money, understandable, and when it comes back online most people will move on and put this behind them.

iwod 08-10-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniceffect (Post 7619996)
As a customer of one of the webhosts on here I can understand your frustration. I have called my host about 10 times trying to get information and sent emails. However in the same respect as it has been said above, cant always give a timeframe because sometimes ya just dont know.

I think people should just all logged into WHT, we get information here much faster :)

FideiCrux 08-10-2011 04:49 PM

I find it interesting that people are knocking the data-center for their redundancy. Complaints about clients leaving and businesses failing cause of not being able to receive e-mails and such. Where are your redundancy plans?

Contingencies need to be planned for businesses as well, not just data-centers. Need your e-mail just in case your data-center gets DDoS'd or Power goes out. Setup a backup domain.

Just as one can't plan for the weather, make it into work when it snows for that day (thus not getting paid), plan for disasters. -.-

JDonovan 08-10-2011 04:50 PM

Downage

We have A/B power on multiple servers and they are all still down. We are in the older facility. Even if we didn't have this addon, Colo4's statement regarding this was a poor excuse.

We will be leaving Colo4 after this fiasco. There is no way an outage should last this long from a power failure, that's why you have backup plans. Acts of God are understandable but not this.

There are some major clients who are affected by this right now. An example is Radiant Systems. Tens of thousands of restaurants have major parts of their systems down. Other major clients are experiencing the same thing.