Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to get a US Bank Account for non-US citizens from abroad?

I have heard so many say that they got their US bank accounts from outside the United States and did'nt even have a SSN number or US mailing address.

I in desperate need of a US bank account. If anyone can provide any information regarding this matter it will be greatly appreciated and also those of you who have already gotted US bank accounts from abroad please share your experience and how you got it.

Also do you know of any other similar Forum where I can ask this question other than webhostingtalk.com?
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

You are talking about Personal Account or Business Accoung ?

You can not apply for personal bank account without SSN. For business account you have to be Incorporated in USA with Federal Tax ID.
      0 Not allowed!

But...

On Bancorps site it says that you have to fill in a form, and send it over to guarantee that you are a foreigner that does not live in the US. Otherwise it seems quite easy to get an account?...

/ Jonas
      0 Not allowed!

Well all bets _may_ be off. I asked bancorp a question about their debit card and was told they couldn't process apllications because of changes imposed by the Patriot Act. I have asked if that means never or we don't know yet.

KathySmith can you answer that? This was for a biz checking account with and/or without Delaware incorporation.

Anyone else any insights?

-
    Dr Strangelove (aka Donald Rumsfeld)
      0 Not allowed!

I need a personal bank account.

So far I have been turned down by all the US banks I have e-mailed.

They open accounts without SSN# but the account must be opened in person which I cannot do as a trip to the US would cost me thousands of $s
      0 Not allowed!

Yep, I (from uk) opened a personal account in the US at keybank - keybank.com

They required I provided fingerprints...that was pretty surreal...
      0 Not allowed!

Was that recently stu_sp? Since the infamous Patriot Act?
      0 Not allowed!

It was around June/July this year, so I think (although I may be wrong!) that this was before the patriot act was passed.
      0 Not allowed!

I just applied at http://www.valis-int.com
    Waiting for more information from them
      0 Not allowed!

Have you tried asking your own personal bank if they can arrange it ? many overseas banks have arrangements with overseas or "parent" banks that allow their customers to open foreign accounts.
    Hosting and Design Services
    www.KiwiBloke.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SurfTurtle
    I just applied at http://www.valis-int.com
    Waiting for more information from them
    Expensive
      0 Not allowed!

Yes its expensive but not as much it would cost me not to get a US Bank account just see what I had to go through before I decided to get this.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=84024

I just couried the documents to valis today, they say it'll take 1 week for themselves and 1 week for thebancorp.com to proccess it.
      0 Not allowed!

If you are from Canada, you can use Harris Bank which is located in Chicago, IL. This bank is a branch of BMO (Bank of Montreal), which is a big Canadian bank.
      0 Not allowed!

i am in Pakistan
      0 Not allowed!

Might be a little tougher. Hrm. Try calling some US banks and ask them if they open bank accounts, because usually this can be done over the phone.

However, when we opened a US bank account, we had to provide corporation documents, SSN documents, and personal identification..... just like if we were opening the coporate account here in Toronto.

I believe its the same process everywhere.
      0 Not allowed!

Its much more than tough, its almost impossible.

As soon as I tell anyone i'm from Pakistan every answer from them onwards is ,no, i'm sorry we can't, not possible, .....

I have thought about incorporating in US but that seems too much trouble and also i'm concerned about paying taxes. In pakistan there is no kind of tax on IT companies for 7 years which is great.
      0 Not allowed!

It's not imposible - just talk to your favorite local banker. Also check out any branch of HSBC
      0 Not allowed!

Can HSBC help its overseas clients to open US bank account? That'd be nice.
      0 Not allowed!

HSBC USA FAQ says as follows

Can I Sign Up for Internet Banking if I Live Outside the United States?
    You will need a valid U.S. address to sign up for Internet Banking.
      0 Not allowed!

I opened a personal checking account (basic web checking) at The Bancorp Bank ( www.thebancorp.com ) online last week. I received the email confirmation that the account is open. I also spoke to their Customer Service and they told me everything is OK and all I need to do is to fax them the W8-BEN form, and then I can make my first deposit (opening deposit of $50 is required to activate the account).

In the online application, I left the SSN field blank as I'm not a US citizen.

Also, the fax# on their website is wrong, the correct one ends with 5194.

So, I opened a US bank account without much hassle, now I'm just waiting to order my debit Mastercard.

Hope this helped.
      0 Not allowed!

Matija,
    Where are you from? and did'nt thebancorp ask for a reference from a account holder to open your account as that is the only reason i'm paying Valis International $130 for the reference.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SurfTurtle
    Matija,
    Where are you from? and did'nt thebancorp ask for a reference from a account holder to open your account as that is the only reason i'm paying Valis International $130 for the reference.
    From their FAQ:
    I am not a US resident and/or not a US citizen. May I apply for an account?
    Yes, you may apply for any account offered through The Bancorp Bank. All you have to do is fill out a W-8BEN form and send it in with your application. You can download this form from our Web Site.
    http://TotalHosting.biz
    Affordable Hosting & Bulk Reseller accounts.
      0 Not allowed!

Thomas, it may well say that on their web site but when I ashed them a question a few days ago they said: "they couldn't process applications from no-US citizens because of changes imposed by the Patriot Act. I have asked if that means never or we don't know yet."

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Matija - have you actually had the opening of the account CONFIRMED?

--
    Dr S
      0 Not allowed!

Man - good for you, but that makes me

I will be calling them first thing in the morning!!!!!!!!! What country are you in?
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast