Domain transfers out of 1&1 1and1

I'm in the process of moving 12 domains from 1&1 and forgot exactly how I did it before.. The process was easy but there is some confusion due to their packaging system and how it works coupled with their uncomprehensive help/faq.

HOW TO TRANSFER A DOMAIN FROM 1&1 ( 1and1 ) :
    1. Login to http://admin.1and1.com/ and unlock domain(s) to transfer
    2. Use the "Info" selection to acquire the Auth Code for each domain to be transferred -- these are needed for confirmations during the remaining process
    3. Adjust DNS as desired if needed - some say setting the DNS to the 1&1 defaults speeds things up. However it may be 6 or 1/2 dozen as DNS changes at 1&1 are pretty slow to happen.
    4. Turn off Private WHOIS if enabled (wait for it to propagate)
    5. Make sure the WHOIS E-Mail addresses are correct
    6. Initiate the transfer request(s) at gaining registrar
    7. Confirm e-mail/links as needed to complete transfer(s)

(optional) - I've used 8 & 9 before and it worked fine. It's not real clear how "cancel" may effect a transfer from 1&1. It's possible to initiate & confirm a transfer approval this way apparently - seems to queue/prepare 1&1 for a request from another registrar and perhaps speed the process up. In this case the steps I guess would be 8,9,6,7 or 6,8,9,7 order.. Using this cancel facility seems pretty safe as there are confirmations to protect accidents. One thing I think the cancel website is surly for is to expidite removal of empty "Packages" from your 1&1 control panel that could linger around otherwise.

A few months ago I transferred 30+ domains from 1&1. I had to reinitiate the transfer of a couple that I forgot to wait for the private whois to fully disable. I did use the 1&1 cancel site then but forget exactly the order that I used. I am fairly certain that I initiated the transfer request at the gaining registrar before using the 1&1 cancel site.

I didn't have to use any non-internet methods (faxing) to complete the transfers. The fact that I am in the USA, have my visa on file with them and registered the domains at the US branch of 1&1 may have been the lubrication that avoided faxing.

*NOTE* Complications arise if you try and transfer a domain which you have gotten free of charge with hosting services. I have never had that situation to deal with. Hence it is probably best to NOT take advantage of their free domains included with hosting -- at very least you should understand fully how the domain(s) are tied to the hosting, and how to move them away, if it's even possible.

Finally here is a useful link for most accuratly checking your 1&1 whois: http://registrar.schlund.info/

Quote Originally Posted by The Manager
    *NOTE* Complications arise if you try and transfer a domain which you have gotten free of charge with hosting services. I have never had that situation to deal with. Hence it is probably best to NOT take advantage of their free domains included with hosting -- at very least you should understand fully how the domain(s) are tied to the hosting, and how to move them away, if it's even possible.
    There is no difference in how 1&1 handles outgoing transfer between included and additional domains.

I'd suggest you first transfer, SUCCESSFULLY, and if then 1and1 does not cancel the contract automatically, then you may do so manually.

I would strongly suggest NOT to cancel any contracts when the domain is with 1and1 as you may risk or losing the domain. I have heard cases where clients at 1and1 cancel their contract just to find out that once the contract is canceled they have no right to whatever was under the contract, this includes domains.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

thank you for the great tutorial
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I don't see how to edit my initial message anymore so I wanted to follow up with a little bit of extra stuff I tried and such.

Firstly I had various domains that were also being transferred from RegisterFly, initiated 3 days later than those that I did with 1&1.

Note that I manually initaited each domain transfer separatly without using the bulk transfer option. I felt this was more resilient to problems that might arise. Also since I'd seen individual failures in the past I didn't want to chance that a bulk transfer might be an ALL or NOTHING kind of process..

Transfers from RegisterFly are absolutely painless and the 20+ that I initiated on 9-Jan-2007 were all completed on 11-Jan-2007 -- This perhaps spoiled me since it was fast. Note that like 1&1 it's IMPERATIVE that any private WHOIS be absoluetely OFF before starting a transfer. Especially with 1&1 if you happen to use the CANCEL.1AND1.COM facility since the package/domain will become unaccessable in the control panel. I had a previous problem like that since their system is so slow to update things -- turned off private whois and assumed it was off when it was not done processing.. duh. Took me a MONTH to get the mess straightened out. Sure glad I was making the transfers several months before any expiration dates!

..anyhow on 6-Jan-2007 I initiated 12 transfers from 1&1. On the 9th I decided to experiment with 4 domains and use the cancel.1and1.com page for them afterwhich I re-sent the applications of transfer via a new request from the gaining registrar -- I figured that once 'cancelled' it might clear the queue of previous transfer requests..

On the 11th and 12th transfers began to trickle in from 1and1, for whatever reason all .ORG came in first.. Followed by .COM .NET pairs. All but one .COM domain were completed. Since it was a mixture of domains that I had cancelled Vs. not, and the fact that I didn't experiment using the cancel vs. not all begining at the same date I really can't conclude that there is any pro/cons in speed. One thing I think the cancel.1and1.com perhaps should simply be avoided. It tends to confuse matters and comes off sounding very final/scary.

The one final domain I am waiting on from 1and1 is perhaps going to trickle in. I may have compliacted things by both using the cancel process with it and by opening up communications with the tech support people.

Conclusions:

Calling 1and1 tech support should be avoided for sanity sake unless you are very confident there IS a problem and it's not just part of the slow processing there... They will probably tell you as they did me that you need to use the cancel.1and1.com page to transfer away a domain which is obviously not accurate.

The cancel.1and1.com process is mostly a way to get billing stopped for unwanted packages.. It may also serve as a 1-STOP SHOP to transfer out a domain IF using it all by itself..

EG: perhaps combining separate steps into 1..

1. unlocks the domain
    2. removes orpahned package once transfer is complete

It's not clear to me if it handles turning off private whois or not..

Bottom line is that I feel that steps 8 & 9 are best left out of the transfer process. Simply wait for the slow process at 1and1 to get things done. Once your domains are secure at the new registrar then use the cancel page at 1and1 if needed to clean out the left over domains/packages.

Lastly it is perhaps better to move step #1 between steps #5 and #6 just for the logic of it... No need to have a domain unlocked with inaccurate WHOIS information still present.

thanks im going to goto namecheap i hate these guys

thanks, i got a few names on 1and1 that i need to sell soon... much appreciated info.
    ~ AIMarketingPlan.com
    ~
    Free AI TOOLS and resources for AI marketing!
    ~
    MarkFulton.com ~ website development and design

Hello

I have around 6 domains which i need to transfer from 1and1.com

Should I go with godaddy or namecheap ?

Thanks for explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrukh View Post
    Hello

I have around 6 domains which i need to transfer from 1and1.com

Should I go with godaddy or namecheap ?

I would go with Godaddy.. i have used then for years and they have great customer service. You can always call them up and speak to a live person. 1and1 is absolute HELLL!! i would not recommend them to my enemies.

I have 140 domains at 1and1 and now I'm thinking to move them somewhere else, just can't handle bad service from 1and1 anymore...

wish me good luck

Ok, good luck

Remember not to cancel anything until the domains are confirmed as being well away from 1and1.

The transfers may take a bit longer than you normally see. Don't get impatient and take chances.

TIP: some of the actions do not work properly in IE, only in Netscape derived browsers.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

My steps for moving 1and1 domains to Dreamhost

Several months back 1and1 canceled my account with no reason given. The only responses I got from their legal department referred me to a paragraph in the contract that they could terminate service at any time without reason, as long as they gave 30 days notice. None of my domains housed any illegal or adult content - certainly not illegal in the United States, and I was registered through their American presence. As best as I can tell, if 1and1 doesn't like your content, they will boot you.

Here are the steps I used to transfer domains:

1. admin.1and1.com: Update Name Servers for domain to point to Dreamhost nameservers.
    2. admin.1and1.com: Update WHOIS info to contain valid email contact info for domain, if needed.
    3. admin.1and1.com: Unlock domain.
    4. CANCEL.1and1.com: select option(s) for domain to "Change Provider" / "ASAP".
    5. CANCEL.1and1.com: Get auth code for domain transfer (it's the same auth code as from admin.1and1.com).
    6. CANCEL.1and1.com: Request confirmation email if you used alternate contact info for WHOIS for domain.
    7. <In my "regular" email account>: Receive 1and1's email and click the link within to confirm your request. *
    8. panel.dreamhost.com: Perform registration transfer using auth code.
    9. <In my "WHOIS-listed" email account>: Receive Dreamhost's email and click link to confirm.
    10. panel.dreamhost.com: Set domain to lock and auto-renew (optional).

* For at least one of my domains, the confirmation email(s) from 1and1 went to the "Messages" mailbox found in admin.1and1.com in addition to/instead of going to my regular email account.
    NOTE: If moving multiple domains at once, you may wish to note the "Process Numbers" as soon as they appear in the Status/Undo columns in cancel.1and1.com and relate them to a particular domain cancellation. Otherwise, there's not a good way to tell what cryptic domain cancellation order number in cancel.1and1.com belongs to which domain.

1and1 did an OK job while I was with them. The support is non-existent, but that's OK if you can take care of yourself. What is *not* OK is when they boot you from their servers with little notice without telling you why, and then you're dealing with non-English speaking phone support techs who are reading from a script in their honest-but-feeble attempt to help you while the clock is ticking on your domains. It's worth noting that Dreamhost is based in California, and if your content is legal in California, you can host it with them. Period. BTW, I'm not shilling for Dreamhost's affiliate program. To prove it, I won't include a coupon code. (Actually, I don't have any.)

We are also having a problem with a straight forward transfer of a domain from 1and1Internet. We our client received a doman transfer authorization code assigned by 1 and 1 Internet, but they refuse to honor it. Instead they say the domain has been canceled 9 months before the expiration date and want a $40 redemption fee and form that we can't even pay, be cause it is required to be supplied by the original owner.

Anyone know anything about arbitration for transfers?

See also:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557502

Suggestions? Ideas?

thanks for your tutorial.. because i'm little confuse how to transfer out my domain from 1and1

Quote Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
    Ok, good luck

Remember not to cancel anything until the domains are confirmed as being well away from 1and1.

The transfers may take a bit longer than you normally see. Don't get impatient and take chances.

TIP: some of the actions do not work properly in IE, only in Netscape derived browsers.
    Agreed. We can't say too much due to WHT forum rules, but with 1&1 specifically we would *encourage* you to be careful in regards to cancellation of services wtih them. I for example, simply continue to pay for my shared services (which have over a hundred domains registered with them) to avoid significant disruptions despite having a dedicated server elsewhere. But that's in due to part to their very convenient domain registration system (and my other host has no domain registration option).

Thanks for all this, just tryng to transfer. Have to say 1&1 have been great for everything else and would recomend them to anyone, but do not understand why they have to let themselves down with this petty attitude to transferring out. Perhaps they need to consider fixing the problem that makes people transfer, they are in Germany and I need domain UK based.

I remember years ago I had about 100 domains with 1/1 and back then the pricing wasn't listed anywhere, most names were like 7 bucks. I registered some .tv domains not knowing the prices since the prices weren't posted anywhere (this was about 5-6+ years ago).

The ordering process didn't mention prices anywhere. When they sent me the bill I immediately contacted them since I wasn't interested in paying 35+ per domain since I was unaware the pricing was any different then for the other domains. They could of canceled them under the ICANN rule that permitted such back then and I believe still does however once I refused to pay the bill they simply froze all of my domains and that was that.

Lost 100+ some domains, all but the .tv's were paid for. On top of losing the domains I paid for they also sent me to collection with NCO & then sent the domains to auction.

Was a good first and last experience with 1/1. Don't buy their USA stuff, they aren't in the USA.

You having to write a tutorial to tell people how to get domains out of them is self-explanatory.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services

What about transferring to another person? How can you do that without any problems?

Thank you for tutorial. 1and1 is the one who have domain system not working. Many bug there!
    MultipleCloud - Multiple location hosting provider
    200+ worldwide location | different server | different ip owner | best for pbn
    BigfootComputing - Dedicated A/B/C class ip
    100% no bad neighborhood | private name servers

Question 100

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    I had about 100 domains with 1/1
    How does anyone get 100 domains with 1&1's terrible UI? You have to buy them 1by1 ,which takes forever!

Quote Originally Posted by HNLV View Post
    I would strongly suggest NOT to cancel any contracts when the domain is with 1and1 as you may risk or losing the domain. I have heard cases where clients at 1and1 cancel their contract just to find out that once the contract is canceled they have no right to whatever was under the contract.
    Well, hello??? Isn't that what cancelling a contract means?
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Question Propagating Public Whois Data?

I am trying to transfer a few domains out of 1&1 but the Whois propagating seems to be taking forever. Can anyone tell me how long this usually takes?