DONT EVEN TRY 1AND1 ( 1and1.com )

If you want to be hung up on by customer service when your trying to resolve issues I guess this is the company to go with ??

Alright the whole long story....

I ordered two domains one in feb. and one in may. I recieve confirmation phone calls for both so I thought it was all set and done. I didn't need to use the domains yet so I just had them sitting there. I had my CC stolen about a week after so I had to change numbers but I didn't even think of it since I recieved the phone call from them confirming my order.

When I go to try and use my domain they are both locked (one remember was paid in FULL in February and has nothing to do with this May domain). I call them and they say I have an outstanding balance that needs to be arranged with their Credit Agency. I call the Agency to find out that they want me to pay $5.99 (domain name) + $18.95 (late fee) + $5.00 (processing fee) so for my $5.99 domain they now want $30.

I guess what happened was that my CC was declined and they sent emails to me based on my February domain's email. They even told me the emails were returned to them so obviously I didn't recieve them. But they couldn't contact me by phone or mail since they had both? I mean whats the reasoning for giving that information if they don't use it?

So after trying to deal with them I told them I would pay for the domain as I had every intention to do, I had the money just my CC number was changed and I guess they didn't process the CC right away. They told me they couldn't deal with me I'd have to contact the credit agency and pay in full. So they make it so I can't use either domain (even the one I had paid for) and have to pay them an extra $25.00 for a $5.99 domain.

So I keep calling to fight them and tell them and they keep blowing me off telling me it's in their terms to keep my contact information updated even though my phone number and mailing address had never changed and it would have been an easy 30-second call to let me know about the issue which I never even knew about until 3 days ago. They tell me that they can't do anything to h elp me and even when I ask to speak to a manager since I'm speaking to someone who barely speaks english he hangs up on me.

How good of customer service is that? I just get hung up on.

1and1 obviously doesn't seem to care to keep customers or even contact customers when they have outstanding balance. I think they just want that $18.95 late fee so they can make a bunch more from you.

I can tell you one thing I will never go through them again seeing they wouldn't work with me or even talk to me on the phone.

Just a warning to all you out there.

That is quite the experience. I had a similiar problem. i missed a payment since i changed credit cards and the email address in the contact info was one i dont really check very often at all. after my site being down for a couple days i called and they said that i was like 2 months overdue on a domain name renewal charge. i changed my card number in the control panel and the next day the site was back up and i was only charged the $6 reg fee. not sure why you had so much trouble. i must be using a different 1and1 company. i have not had any of the bad experiences that people have been speaking of. except a couple of tech emails took a little longer than i wanted to be replied to. although the last couple times it was much faster. and every time i call tech support i get ahold of someone that either knows the answer or can get ahold of someone that knows the answer. i need to call them again today with a question.......so i guess we will see if that holds true still.
    Bennu

It's amazing how many problems people seem to be having with 1and1. I guess in this case, cheapest isn't always best. I've always used a registrar that is a little more per domain, but I've never had the headaches...

While a number of people do seem to be having some major troubles with 1&1, I'm going to have to side with them on this matter.

Based on the fact that you did receive a confirmation call, what likely happened is that the order you made was not declined, rather it was charged back against 1&1. The CC company basically accuses them of charging you fraudulently (based on your reporting your stolen card), and they have to reverse all the funds they took, plus pay a fee (some $10 - $15 or so) for "their" error.

While it is annoying that they wouldn't deal with you directly, it is very typical of larger companies to simply farm out these issues to a collection agency. The only real problem I see with 1&1 here is the lack of good customer service and working to explain the issue better. Beyond that, the issues at hand can be traced back to your not confirming with your CC company that 1&1 was paid. They are not responsible for your card being stolen, and they certainly shouldn't have to foot the bill for your reporting their charge as fraudulent to your CC company. While it should be their job to explain the situation and work with you to resolve it a little better (instead of hanging up and/or passing the issue over to Collections), it's your job to make sure they get paid when an unfortunate incident occurs with your method of payment.

to add a quick not to that.......businesses these days are out to be as efficient as possible with dwindling profit margins. customer service and support are one of the first things to get the ax since when it comes to budget time. its cheaper to write it off then chase one payment. why pay a guy $10-20 for an hour to chase down a customer over a $6 payment (just an example).

Well it wasn't charged back, i recieved a confirmation call, and I canceled the credit card afterwards because it was stolen (maybe a week later so they should have processed it beforehand)...so I was left to believe that it went through. I didn't even think to check my history to see if it did and I never recieved any calls after that to tell me that it didn't so I can't see why you would side with them.

If the last thing I hear from them is a confirmation call how is that my fault that it didn't go through? They should have called me when it was declined...because I was left to believe that it was being processed right after they called to confirm.

If you had read my post you would have seen this:

I had my CC stolen about a week after so I had to change numbers but I didn't even think of it since I recieved the phone call from them confirming my order.

Also it would have taken a 30 second call to contact me and let me know so I could have updated my credit card.

I don't think that's too much to ask even if they pay $6-10/hour for support and my domain was only $5.99...it's 30-SECONDS to call and talk to me or leave a message....

search this forum, problems with 1and1 goes back years...

Yeah...I realize that, thats why I would have never used them for anything but domain registrations but now I see they can mess that up just as well...

While I do use 1and1 I have taken precautions to only using them for servers and precautions of not having a single point of failure (ie, Technical Support). They provide a lot of great tools to manager your box remotely but should you need Tech Support for hardware failure or compromised boxes axed from the Internet by their automated systems, then kiss your server good by for 24 hours (or more).

I would never recommend them for "simple" things or things which have value like domain names that can't be setup like having two or more root servers. I also backup all my data geo-distant from one-on-one should the unthinkable happen (they go out of business) and chances of getting your data then... not a chance in deep hot places.

I would never buy domains and hosting from them since you have to fax to cancel stuff.

They might have the right to charge you if your card was charged backed.
    Did you ask for a charge back for these payments?

if your card was processed and you registered the domain names, unless your credit card company charged all these payments back, they should not do that.

I guess there are extra costs involved because of your credit card and they are trying to get this extra cost back;

If not, they should not charge you this extra late fee because a late fee can not be triple of the cost of the service in my opinion to make sense.

Also it is against registry rules that they keep your domain ransom because of payment.
    MBT
    SiberName.com is an ICANN/CIRA/Eurid Accredited Registrar. since 2000.

Canadian Registrar for .CA Domain Names Registrations. Canadian Web Site Hosting Service Provider.

I back this call, all of those who wish to hold a good business, say away
    A short story of mine, is that I paid for one domain. Asked for no renwals, it was a dated domain e.g. 2003.com - So after it expired, I just left it. THen in 2006, i had debt collectors sending me letters seems, they ignored my ask for no auto-renwal. on any contact to 1&1 they say "its out of our hands now. Sorry". Idiots, they dont want to pay the debt collectors surcharge thats all..

Im not bothered anyway, because i had never paid. Since i was at the time unde 18, im also unable to gain a "debt"

Stay Away From 1&1 !

Quote Originally Posted by grabyourhosting
    I would never buy domains and hosting from them since you have to fax to cancel stuff.
    No, they changed this policy months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aldee
    No, they changed this policy months ago.
    I recently had to cancel a package @1and1 and what was confusing was that you were directed to fax in the cancellation sheet as part of the last step (step 3 of 3).

However, all my monies were refunded after i completed the online request/approval steps.

Just to be on the safe side, I would email 1and1 support to confirm the cancellation.....

Quote Originally Posted by kevin2010
    I recently had to cancel a package @1and1 and what was confusing was that you were directed to fax in the cancellation sheet as part of the last step (step 3 of 3).

However, all my monies were refunded after i completed the online request/approval steps.

Just to be on the safe side, I would email 1and1 support to confirm the cancellation.....
    The fax no longer required. I have cancelled domains and servers with them the last few months and the only thing required was to confirm the cancellation through an automated email. Worked great for me.

I must be very lucky not to have encountered any major problems with 1and1. Yes, their support totally sucks but other than that they have been very good to me. Cheap, great uptime, easy CP, etc. I use them to host smaller sites though that doesn't need much attention. Good luck!